San Antonio FC Falls 0-1 on the Road to FC Tulsa
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (10-2-3) fell to FC Tulsa (4-2-7) 0-1 at ONEOK Field on Saturday night. A stoppage-time goal from Eric Bird earned the hosts the victory as SAFC suffered just its second loss of the season.
"I think the biggest takeaway for us is the number of chances we created and how we didn't put any in the back of the net," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "We have to be more ruthless. We had six or seven clear cut chances, and we have to put one of those in the back of the net.
"It could have been a lopsided game in our favor if we buried our opportunities. That's what we will learn. All we can do is learn, progress and make sure we are ready for Austin."
The match was tight the entire night as SAFC and Tulsa recorded 15 and 14 shots respectively, while both recorded six shots on target. The lone goal of the match came in the dying moments after a clearance from the SAFC defense landed at Bird's feet near the top of the box, from where the midfielder shot to take the late lead.
SAFC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone recorded five saves on the night, which ties for his highest save count in a single match this season. The San Antonio native added one claim and two punches en route to an 83 percent save success rate on the night.
San Antonio native Ethan Bryant made his season debut after re-joining the club on Sept. 18. Bryant was the first player to join the SAFC first team from the SAFC Pro Academy Elite Training program during the 2018 season.
San Antonio FC will return to USL Championship action on Sunday, Oct. 4 at 5 p.m. as the team travels to take on Austin Bold FC in their final match of the regular season.
FC Tulsa: 1-0, Eric Bird 90'
FC Tulsa: Yellow Card (Lebo Moloto) 59'
FC Tulsa: Yellow Card (Dario Suarez) 61'
FC Tulsa: Yellow Card (Ariel Martinez) 63'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Connor Maloney, Callum Montgomery, Mitchell Taintor, Joshua Yaro, Blake Smith; M: Jose Gallegos (Ethan Bryant 71'), Cristian Parano (Gonzalo Di Renzo 86'), PC; F: Luis Solignac, Jordan Perruzza (Ignacio Bailone 56')
Substitutions not used: Carlos Mercado, Hunter Gorskie, Liam Doyle, Leo Torres
San Antonio FC lost for just the second time in 2020...with the result SAFC defeated every Group D opponent both home and away except for FC Tulsa...SAFC is now 6-3-3 all-time against FC Tulsa
SAFC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone made five saves in the loss, tying his season-high in 2020...Cardone saved 83.0 percent of shots faced and also recorded two punches
San Antonio FC forward Jordan Perruzza recorded a team-high five shots while adding two shots on target...six SAFC players recorded at least two key passes in the match
SAFC midfielder Ethan Bryant made his return to the field for SAFC, making his season debut as a second-half substitute...Bryant completed all four of his passes and recorded one shot on the night in 18 minutes
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 26, 2020
- FC Tulsa Upsets San Antonio FC on Eric Bird's Stoppage Time Winner - FC Tulsa
- LouCity Locks up No. 1 Playoff Seed with Win over Saint Louis - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 to Louisville City FC - Saint Louis FC
- Legion FC Drops Final Home Match of the Regular Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hounds Fall to Hartford, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Falls 0-1 on the Road to FC Tulsa - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs Draws 1-1 with Colorado Springs - Real Monarchs SLC
- Top Dogs: Hartford Down Pittsburgh 1-0 - Hartford Athletic
- Charlotte Independence Falls to Memphis 901 FC 3-1 - Charlotte Independence
- Goals from Perez and Fortune Lead NCFC to Victory - North Carolina FC
- 901 FC Defeats Charlotte & Wins Fans Free Chick-fil-A - Memphis 901 FC
- 10-Man Red Bulls II Win Wild 5-4 Shootout - New York Red Bulls II
- Philadelphia Union II Edged by Red Bulls II 5-4 - Philadelphia Union II
- Rising hosts Orange County tonight at 7:30 PM on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ - Phoenix Rising FC
- LA Galaxy II Release Omar Ontiveros - LA Galaxy II
- STLvLOU: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
- Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Saint Louis FC - Louisville City FC
- Orange County Face Phoenix Rising for Crucial Match - Orange County SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.