Sacramento Republic FC Sign Five 'Academy Players on Professional Team' Contracts
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC have added five academy players to their 2018 United Soccer League (USL) roster[M1] . Midfielders Quincy Butler and Esteban Zepeda, defender Mark McEntosh and goalkeepers Johan Garibay and Jordan Martinez join the first team under "Academy Players on Professional Team' contracts, making all five players eligible for selection in USL matches, including Saturday's season opener against San Antonio FC.
USL "Academy Players on Professional Team' contracts are designed to preserve players' amateur status. They allow Republic FC Academy players to play in first team professional matches while still maintaining NCAA eligibility.
"We're excited to give our Academy players experience in a professional environment, both in training and official matches," said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. "That experience will accelerate the development of our young players and will improve the overall level of the Academy, as they bring a higher standard back to their Academy teams. For our first team, it provides depth to our roster and further integrates the entire club as one collective."
"We've had a lot of Academy players in with the first team during the preseason and these are the guys who have done the most to earn this," said Republic FC Head Coach Simon Elliott. "It's something that they should earn because in professional soccer you need to earn it every day."
Butler was the first Republic FC Academy player to join the club's USL roster on an academy/USL contract. The 16-year-old winger has been with Republic FC's United States Soccer Developmental Academy since its inception in 2015, scoring 26 goals in 83 career academy appearances. Prior to joining Republic FC's Academy, Butler played with San Juan Soccer Club.
Martinez also joined Republic FC's academy for its inaugural season in 2015, playing with the U-15/16 team in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons, before moving to the U-19 team last season. The 17-year-old has made 41 career academy appearances for Republic FC.
Garibay joined the Academy in 2016, making 28 appearances in that span. The Stockton native previously played for two seasons at Lincoln High School, posting 22 shutouts in those seasons. He was awarded Goalkeeper of the Year for the Tri-City Athletic League in 2015.
McEntosh has been part of Republic FC's academy since 2016, scoring 8 goals in 54 career appearances. The defender, along with Garibay, have both signed a letter of intent with Gonzaga University.
Zepeda has also played for the Academy since its inaugural season, making 71 career appearances in that time span. The midfielder recently saw minutes with the first team in a friendly against Major League Soccer's Seattle Sounders FC and Los Angeles FC during the preseason.
Republic FC kick off the 2018 USL season at Papa Murphy's Park on Saturday, March 17, at 7:30 p.m. against San Antonio FC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 17, 2018
- Roughnecks Blanked 1-0 in Season Opener - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Switchbacks Begin 2018 Campaign with 2-0 Victory over LA Galaxy II - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Fury FC Dealt Disappointing Result in Season Opener - Ottawa Fury FC
- Independence Hangs Four Goals on Ottawa in Season Opener - Charlotte Independence
- Charleston Battery Drops Opener to FC Cincinnati - Charleston Battery
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Open Season with 3-1 Win over North Carolina FC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Makes USL Debut, Falls to Tampa Bay - North Carolina FC
- NYRB II Defeat TFC II, 2-1, in Home Opener at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls II
- Continental Tire Announced as New North Carolina Courage Front of Jersey Sponsor - North Carolina FC
- LouCity Knocks off Nashville SC - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Drop Preseason Finale to Villanova, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Sacramento Republic FC Sign Five 'Academy Players on Professional Team' Contracts - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tonight: Lights FC Opens Inaugural USL Regular Season at Fresno FC at 7 p.m. - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Sportsplex at Matthews Regulations for Home Game - Charlotte Independence
- S2 Opens New Era in Tacoma with 2-1 Victory over Archrival Portland in Front of Soldout Crowd at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- T2 Fall 2-1 to Sounders FC 2 in USL Regular-Season Opener at Cheney Stadium - Portland Timbers 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Launch First-Ever Official Mobile App
- Republic FC Earn Their First Win of the Season
- Republic FC Unveil Winning Fan Design for New Glory Craft Brewery Collaboration
- Republic FC Open the Season with 1-1 Draw at Home against Real Monarchs SLC
- Republic FC Sign Four Youth Players to 'Academy Player on Professional Team' Contracts