Ryan Sweeney plans on attending Hot Stove Banquet
Former CR Xavier and Oakland Athletics outfielder Ryan Sweeney plans to attend the Cedar Rapids Kernels 12th Annual Hot Stove Banquet this Thursday at 5:30 pm at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Cedar Rapids.
Sweeney was ranked as the #1 prospect in the Chicago White Sox organization by Baseball America prior to the 2007 season. He was acquired by Oakland this January in a trade for Nick Swisher. Sweeney played 33 major league games for the White Sox, posting a .213 average with one HR and 10 RBI.
His best professional season was in 2006 where he hit .296 at triple-A Charlotte with 13 HR and 70 RBI.
Sweeney is a graduate of Xavier HS and was a First Team All-State selection in 2001-02. He posted a 9-0 record with a 0.35 ERA (3 ER / 60 IP) with 82 strikeouts as a junior. He was named Louisville Slugger National Player of the Year and had committed to San Diego State University before signing with the White Sox.
Tickets for the banquet are available and are $37.50 in advance and $45 at the door.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from January 28, 2008
- Ryan Sweeney plans on attending Hot Stove Banquet - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Snappers and West Bend Mutual Renew Partnership with Stateline United Way - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Peoria Scores Late to Take Game 1
- Kernels adjust playoff roster before Peoria series
- Dobnak Sends Kernels to Sweep of Snappers
- Kernels Roll to 10-1 Win at Beloit
- Game 1 Postponed at Beloit