Riveters Sign New Jersey Native and 2018 Sixth Overall Draft Pick Kendall Cornine
Kendall Cornine, who was raised in Kinnelon, New Jersey and went on to star at Morristown-Beard High School and the Rochester Institute of Technology, has signed with her home state Metropolitan Riveters. Cornine, the all-time leading scorer for RIT at the Division I level, was selected by the Riveters with the sixth overall selection in the 2018 NWHL Draft.
"I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity to further my playing career in the NWHL," said Cornine. "It's an amazing privilege to be able to continue to play and help grow the game. I can't wait to get the season started with the Riveters!"
Cornine led RIT in scoring in her final three seasons, finishing her career with 64 points (38-26-64) in 140 games. She had a breakout season as a sophomore, posting a career-best 12 goals and eight assists, and continued to produce at a similar clip with 11 goals and eight assists in her final season. Cornine not only led the team statistically, she served as the Tigers' captain for two seasons.
She also set the New Jersey High School all-time scoring record, posting 199 points (104-95-199) in 74 games. In 2015, she was named the New Jersey Girls' High School Player of the Year, and was the New Jersey Devils High School Player of the Year in 2014 and 2015.
In addition to her player salary, Cornine will receive a cut of the 50 percent of all revenue from league-level sponsorship and media deals all NWHL players are getting this season. Players also receive 15 percent of the revenue from apparel sold with their names on them. Besides playing for the Riveters, Cornine is the head coach of the New Jersey Colonials girls u12 team and the strength and conditioning coach for the Colonials organization. She is also a personal trainer at Sweat Fitness in Boonton, N.J.
"The signing of Kendall Cornine is a huge boost to our team," said Riveters GM Kate Whitman Annis. "She's going to make a big difference for us, especially on the power play. And we love the leadership she brings as a two-year captain at RIT. We welcome Kendall to the Riveters' family."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Riveters Sign New Jersey Native and 2018 Sixth Overall Draft Pick Kendall Cornine - Metropolitan Riveters
- Ivo Mocek Named Head Coach of the Riveters - Metropolitan Riveters
- A Partnership to Sink Your Teeth Into: Chipwich Becomes Official Ice Cream Sandwich of the NWHL - NWHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Metropolitan Riveters Stories
- Riveters Sign RIT F/D Mallory Rushton
- Bulbul Kartanbay Signs with Riveters, Becomes First NWHL Player from Kazakhstan
- St. Louis Native Nicole Arnold Signs with the Riveters
- Former Russian League and National Team Forward Tatiana Shatalova Joins the Riveters
- Riveters Sign New Jersey Native and 2018 Sixth Overall Draft Pick Kendall Cornine