Real Salt Lake Weekly Update
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Salt Lake's 14th season in Major League Soccer is officially underway while Utah Royals FC and Real Monarchs SLC continue their preseason training. The RSL Academy sides hosted and toppled the Barca Academy in Herriman on Saturday. Here's what you need to know at the club this week:
Real Salt Lake
Real Salt Lake got out to a first half lead against FC Dallas in the 2018 MLS regular season opener on Saturday, but had to settle for one point after an own goal in the 85th minute drew the match level in a 1-1 draw at Toyota Stadium.
FW Joao Plata scored his first goal of the season and GK Nick Rimando finished with five saves as RSL remains unbeaten in the last nine regular season openers (5-0-4).
Real Salt Lake opened scoring in the 25th minute when MF Albert Rusnák set up Plata for his first goal of the season. RSL held that 1-0 lead into halftime thanks in large part to five saves from Rimando, including one goal-line clearance in the 39thminute, diving to his right to swipe away a shot from Maxi Urruti.
In the second half, RSL absorbed the pressure from Dallas, but in the 86th minute Urruti sent a ball across the goal mouth that deflected off DF Marcelo Silva and in for an own goal, evening the score at 1-1 and that's how it would finish.
RSL will host Los Angeles FC in the first match against the expansion club on March 10 at Rio Tinto Stadium. Tickets to the match can be purchased at RSL.com or by calling 844.REAL.TIX.
Tickets to RSL's home opener can be purchased by going to RSL.com or by calling 844.REAL.TIX.
Utah Royals FC
Utah Royals FC hosted 1-0 against local college program, BYU, in their first inaugural preseason scrimmage on Saturday at the Zion's Bank Real Academy in Herriman, Utah. MF Alexa Newfield scored the game's lone goal in the 19th minute when her rifled shot found the back of the net from distance.
The team will train for one more week at America First Field in Sandy before travelling to Los Angeles, California for the final leg of preseason camp. URFC will conclude their inaugural preseason with a match against UCLA in Los Angeles at 10:00 a.m. MT. Following the end of preseason training, Utah Royals FC will make their NWSL debut on March 24 when it visits the Orlando Pride.
Real Monarchs SLC
Real Monarchs played its first of three matches during its preseason trip to Davis, California on Saturday as it visited Sacramento State University, topping the hosts 4-0. Head Coach Mark Briggs led his team through four, 30 minute periods against the Hornets with two lineups in either half playing 60 minutes.
The Monarchs found goals through FWs Juan Ignacio Mare, Ricky Lopez-Espin and MF Brooks Lennon. Throughout the match, the Monarchs pressed heavily, rarely allowing the hosts out its own half of the field. The Utah side nearly found the opening goal in the 40th minute when MF Sebastian Velasquez rattled the crossbar with a long-distance strike. GKs Connor Sparrow and Andrew Putna we're tested significantly in the match, not being forced into a save.
The Monarchs will now look ahead to a matchup against USL Western Conference foe Reno 1868 FC on Wednesday at Greater Nevada Field in Reno.
Real Salt Lake Academy
The Real Salt Lake Academy sides hosted Barcelona Academy at the Zions Bank Training Center in Herriman on Saturday with the U-17s and U-19s each walking away victorious.
The U-17s earned goals from FW Ben Ortiz and MF Alex Villanueva in the 2-1 win in the first match of the day. Ortiz now has 13 goals to his name, stretching his lead atop the team's scoring charts.
The U-19 group attacked the visitors relentlessly in Herriman, scoring after just three minutes to register a 6-0 route of the Barca Academy. DF Delentz Pierre registered what would be the winning goal in the third minute, opening the scoring onslaught. RSL found five more goals courtesy of FW Sebastian Soto who added two more goals to his name while MFs Evan Kim, Richard Ledezma and Glademir Mendoza all tallied goals. GK Jacob Jackson earned his fourth shutout of the year, starting and playing the full 90 minutes in goal.
The RSL Academy sides will now look to a March 17 match against FC Golden State in Highland, California. The U-17s will kick off first at 12:00 p.m. followed shortly by the U-19s at 2:30 p.m. The Academy's full match schedule can be viewed here: rsla.ussoccerda.com.
Information regarding the Zions Bank Real Academy in Herriman and the Real Salt Lake Academy can be found at RSL.com/Academy. If you plan on attending a training session / game and requesting access, please contact RSL Media Services personnel Taran Meyer at (801) 657-2161 / email@example.com a day in advance for arrangements.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2018
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Signs French Center Back Rod Fanni - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Opens 2018 MLS Season against Sporting Kansas City - Chicago Fire
- Asad Faces Former Club as D.C. United Has Atlanta's Number - MLS
- Residency Midfielder Noah Verhoeven Signs USL Contract with Fresno FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Qualifying Details Announced for Upcoming CONCACAF League of Nations - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Alphonso Davies Named to MLS Team of the Week After Starring in Season Opener - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire General Allocation Money from Colorado Rapids - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Announce Signing of Edhem Jukovic as eMLS Competitor - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Fall to La Galaxy 2-1 at Stubhub Center - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Falls 2-0 to NYCFC in 2018 Opener - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake & Utah Sports Commission Congratulate United 2026 for FIFA World Cup Award
- Real Salt Lake Enters World Cup Break with 3-0 Loss to LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Enters MLS World Cup Hiatus Saturday Night at LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Bows out of Open Cup, 2-0 to Sporting Kansas City
- Preview: Real Salt Lake Hosts Kansas City in the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup