Real Monarchs SLC Signs Goalkeepers Todd Morton and Evan Finney
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Monarchs SLC welcome GKs Todd Morton and Evan Finney ahead of the 2019 USL Championship season, General Manager Dan Egner announced today. Both signings are pending league and federation approval.
"Evan and Todd both came in this preseason fighting for a spot on this team," Egner said. "After everyone on the staff had a chance to watch them in training for an extended period, we collectively made the decision that they both deserved a spot with the Monarchs for 2019. They are both young and hungry, which is exactly what we were looking for. They will continue to develop their craft with us, and we fully expect them to push each other while being positive influences on the entire group."
Morton joins the Monarchs after featuring for the University of Delaware and University of Maryland at Baltimore County from 2014 to 2018. At UMBC, Morton helped the team to a NCAA College Cup Final Four appearance before transferring to Delaware prior to the 2015 season. While at Delaware, Morton was a three-year letter winner with the Blue Hens and in 2018 started 14 matches. Across the 2016 and 2017 seasons, Morton started every match the Blue Hens played.
"Signing with the Monarchs has been a dream come true," Morton said. "As soon as I got here I knew I wanted to sign. Between the coaches, facilities, and general atmosphere, right away I felt at home. I am really excited to have officially signed and I look forward to learning as much as I can in my first year. This season I will look to improve daily and push my teammates to improve. My goal is to try and earn a starting role where I can help the team succeed on the field. Whatever my role, I will look to contribute all I can for the betterment of the team and the organization."
Finney joins the Monarchs after spending his collegiate career at Penn State University where he featured in 27 matches from 2015 to 2017. Finney made 100 saves in his collegiate career, earning seven career shutouts for the Nittany Lions.
"I'm excited to sign my first professional contract with the Monarchs and very thankful for the coaches in believing in me," Finney said. "I'm looking forward to pushing the goalkeeping core and all of my teammates this season. Hopefully my hard work ethic will allow me to represent the monarchs on the field this year during the 2019 USL Championship season."
Name: Todd Morton
Weight: 190 lbs
Born: 12/05/1995 (23 yo)
Birthplace: West Chester, Pennsylvania
Hometown: West Chester, Pennsylvania
Last Club: University of Delaware
Name: Evan Finney
Weight: 175 lbs
Born: 12/09/1994 (24 yo)
Birthplace: San Francisco, California
Hometown: San Francisco, California
Last Club: Penn State University
Real Monarchs SLC will open its fifth campaign in the USL Championship when it faces Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday, March 9. A week later, the Monarchs will return home to hose expansion side El Paso Locomotive FC at Zions Bank Stadium on March 16, the venue in which the Monarchs recorded a league-best home record of 13-2-2 in 2018. 2019 Season Tickets are on sale now at RealMonarchs.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 11, 2019
- Preview: Indy Eleven Gameday & Match Preview - Indy Eleven
- Real Monarchs SLC Signs Goalkeepers Todd Morton and Evan Finney - Real Monarchs SLC
- Lights FC Announces Unique Presidents Day Weekend Promotion - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Individual Tickets for North Carolina FC on Sale Tomorrow - North Carolina FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Single-Match & Group Tickets on Sale Now - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Rowdies Announce Return of Pape Diakite - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hounds Announce Date Change of August Match against Loudoun United FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Austin Bold FC Signs Midfielder/Defender Amobi Okugu - Austin Bold FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs SLC Continues Four-Corners Cup against Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 1-1 against OKC Energy FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Looks to Snap Road Skid Saturday against OKC Energy FC
- Real Monarchs SLC FW Luis Palma Named to Honduras FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls at Home 4-2 to Fresno FC