Pirates Hosting Grapefruit League Play Ball Event
On Saturday, March 17, the Pirates will partner with Major League Baseball to invite kids ages five to 12 to Pirate City in Bradenton, FL, to take part in a special PLAY BALL baseball clinic. The Pirates will host the MLB Grapefruit League PLAY BALL event at the team's southern home from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. and the morning will include special instructions by Pirates minor league players, coaches and staff.
The free event is open to kids ages five to 12 who are registered in advance of the day. Registration for the event is now open at playball.leagueapps.com/signup.
The morning event starts at 9:30 a.m. with an opening program and remarks from members of the Pirates and MLB, the day then transitions to baseball-themed activities on the fields around the complex. Pirates minor league players will assist at stations of interactive baseball/softball related activities including hitting a wiffle ball off a tee, catching baseballs in the outfield, learning to throw and hit a catcher's glove target, and more.
The PLAY BALL program is a collaborative initiative between MLB, USA Baseball and USA Softball designed to encourage widespread participation in all forms of baseball activities among all age groups, especially youth. The new program highlights the many ways baseball can be played, including outside of the traditionally-organized baseball leagues and tournaments.
In 2017, the Pirates announced the elements of their newly revised Pirates PLAY BALL initiative as the official home to the Club's youth baseball and softball efforts in the community. The initiative is focused on promoting youth participation in fun baseball and softball activities as the Pirates are increasingly committed to growing the game of baseball in and around the greater Pittsburgh region. The Pirates PLAY BALL program consists of information and resources provided by both the Club and MLB now available for area coaches and players at Pirates.com/PLAYBALL. The site is comprised of resources such as online education centers, coaching clinic information, and instructional videos from current players such as Josh Bell, Jordy Mercer and Jameson Taillon.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from March 10, 2018
- Bradenton Boosters Make Annual Donation to Pirates Charities - Bradenton Marauders
- Phillies Spring Training Upcoming Promotions - Clearwater Threshers
- Pirates Hosting Grapefruit League Play Ball Event - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bradenton Marauders Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces 2019 LIFT Mentorship Program
- Marauders Collecting Toys For The Salvation Army At Pirate City On Saturday, December 8
- All-You-Can-Eat 5-Game Plans Available Monday, October 22
- Pirates Announce 2019 Spring Training Ticket Information
- Marauders Unveil 10th Season Logo and Announce On-Sale Dates