Phoenix Earns Point In Draw Against Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Tempe, Ariz. - Donny Toia's 11th minute wonder-strike from 25 yards was Phoenix FC's only goal, but it held up in a 1-1 draw with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds Friday night at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium.
It was Toia's first goal of the season as Phoenix FC has earned eight standings points through seven matches with a 2-3-2 record.
The Wolves got Andrew Weber back in goal and Renan Boufleur at center back from red-card suspensions the previous week. Weber saved five shots but couldn't stop a deflection in the 79th minute that ended up being a goal for the Riverhounds' Andrew Marshall.
Toia, who had played outside defender in recent matches, was moved up to attacker in Friday's match but was all over the pitch, creating scoring chances and playing back to defend runs.
The 40th minute saw Weber make a fully-extended kick save of a shot by Pittsburgh's Jhonny Arteaga.
Hunter Gilstrap stopped six shots for the Riverhounds.
With the game tied in the late minutes, Phoenix FC pushed forward trying to net the winner. Midfielder Diego Faria had a shot in the 87th minute after a run from Anthony Obodai but couldn't get it through.
Cameron Vickers, who came on as a late substitute, had a shot go just wide in extra time of the second half.
Phoenix FC heads east for its next two matches, next Thursday at Pittsburgh in the return match and May 11 against the Dayton Dutch Lions. Then the club goes down Interstate 10 to face FC Tucson in the Wolves' inaugural U.S. Open Cup match.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from May 3, 2013
- Phoenix Earns Point In Draw Against Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Phoenix FC
- Wilmington Falls to Richmond - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Kickers Defeat Wilmington 2-0 in First Road Match - Richmond Kickers
- Battery Defeats Dutch Lions to Win Fourth Straight - Charleston Battery
- Riverhounds Host Opening Round of 2013 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rescheduled Match Set for Wednesday, August 7 - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Football Club Kicks off 2018 Season in Road Battle with Orange County
- Phoenix Rising Football Club Offers Sneak Peak of Proposed Major League Soccer Stadium
- Phoenix Rising Announces Carvana as Official Front of Jersey Sponsor
- Phoenix Rising Partners with Danzeisen Dairy
- Don't Miss the Macron Jersey Reveal Presented by Bud Light