OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup
by David Carlson
July 24, 2019 - World TeamTennis (WTT)
World TeamTennis Scores over 400k viewers, but barely anyone under 50
World TeamTennis had their lone broadcast on CBS on Sunday. The remainder of the matches will be on CBS Sports Network. The broadcast garnered 409,000 viewers, but the 18-49 demo rating was a paltry .05, exceptionally low for sports on a broadcast network on a weekend afternoon. Based on that return one wouldn't expect CBS to jump toward having more WTT broadcasts on the main CBS network anytime soon.
Last Week's OSC Leagues Ratings Summary:
|7/18||9p||ESPN2||CFL||Not in Top 150|
Two leagues that haven't hit the Top 150 cable shows yet this year both made it this Sunday because of some special broadcasts. Most of the National Women's Soccer League games have been on ESPNews this season so far, but an ESPN2 showing at 6pm Sunday netted 149k viewers and a .06 demo rating. The Premier Lacrosse League on NBC Sports Network received its first finish in the Top 150 cable shows for a day with their All-Star Game, coming in at 145th place with 126k viewers and a .04 rating.
Some additional viewership numbers for the Friday night MLS match (courtesy of programminginsider.com, ranks within category in parenthesis):
- 0.317 million viewers (#91)
- 0.20 HH (#91, HH = Households)
- 0.16 A18-49 (#48)
- 0.13 A18-34 (#40)
- 0.17 A25-54 (#68)
In some other specialty sports programming, "The Basketball Tournament," a yearly buy-in tournament that gives the champ a $2 million prize, had four games on ESPN and ESPN2 Saturday, with the following ratings:
- ESPN 12p - .10/243k
- ESPN 2p - .10/223k
- ESPN2 4p - .04/132k (Lowest rated of the 4, directly against BIG3 on CBS)
- ESPN2 6p - .06/143k
Follow OSC TV and ratings discussion at https://twitter.com/OsctvR.
NOTE: Don't know what the "demo" is? Unsure of why the different ratings numbers don't match up? Read our explanation of TV ratings in our first article here.
• Discuss this story on the World TeamTennis message board...
World TeamTennis Stories from July 24, 2019
- Orlando Storm Holds off Washington Kastles; Win 21-18 to End Six-Match Skid - Orlando Storm
- Vegas Rolls to First Home Victory in Franchise History, Defeating New York 24-20 - WTT
- OC Breakers Win a Thriller, Knock the Philadelphia Freedoms out of First Place - Orange County Breakers
- New York Empire Winning Streak Halted by Vegas Rollers; Drop Tightly Contested Match 24-20 - New York Empire
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.