Orlando Storm Announces New Leadership for 2020
Orlando, FL. -The Orlando STORM, Florida's only professional tennis team, will have new leadership on, and off the court as the 2020 World TeamTennis season launches on Sunday, July 12 at 5 pm against the Philadelphia Freedoms.
Former ATP Tour Professional and Veteran Tour Coach Jay Gooding brings over 20 years of professional tennis experience to the STORM's sideline as the team's new Head Coach. In his role, Gooding will lead all competitive aspects of the team, and will also be active in the community promoting the STORM and World TeamTennis.
"It is an honor for me to have been selected to coach the Orlando Storm" said Gooding. "My family and I have loved making Orlando our home these past four years and we look forward to this new experience to strengthen our roots here. The Orlando Storm have proven to be a great addition to the WTT franchise and the Orlando tennis community, which is growing strong in Central Florida. I hope to contribute to a successful season both in the standings and with the camaraderie of our team."
Gooding has been based in Orlando for the last four years and is co-founder of the new Gooding Todero Academy (GTA) in the Lake Nona Sports District.
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ABOUT JAY GOODING
I can't speak highly enough of Jay's knowledge and passion for tennis. However, what sets Jay apart is his ability to be a team player and bring a group of individuals together for a common goal.
- Nicole Pratt, Australian Fed Cup Coach /Tennis Australia Head of Women's Tennis
"I cannot think of any better Coach for the Orlando Storm to have chosen to lead their 2020 season. He brings that authentic, Australian flair and tennis acumen that players respond to so well."
- Jorge Todaro, Co-Founder, Gooding Todero Academy | Former Lead National Coach, USTA Player Development
"Jay is a great motivator and has so much knowledge about the game. Aside from that, he's a really awesome person to be around."
- Danielle Collins, WTA Tour Professional
2020 STORM FRONT OFFICE:
An experienced sports leader, Mike Waddell assumed the helm as the STORM's Team President in late 2019. Prior to joining World TeamTennis, Waddell was President of the Orlando Apollos in the Alliance of American Football. The Newton, NC native has spent the majority of his 31-year career in college athletics, including three years as the Director of Athletics at Towson University, where he led the construction of SECU Arena and secured naming rights for the multisport facility. Waddell has also held college athletics executive positions with the University of Illinois, University of Arkansas, University of Cincinnati, and University of Akron, along with broadcasting positions at the University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, West Point, and Appalachian State University.
"The STORM's mission is to engage Greater Orlando's Tennis Community, grow the WTT brand throughout the year and engage fans throughout the region at a grassroots level, during our season, and year-round with the WTT Community Tennis Program. Mike brings 30+ years of proven experience in pro and college sports and will do a great job building the Storm's culture and leading our brand in Florida."
- Carlos Silva, CEO, World TeamTennis
Sports Business Veteran Bill Conwell is the STORM's new Vice President of Business Development, having served as a consultant to World TeamTennis in 2019. Conwell was a very successful technology executive with IBM, AT&T, and XL/Datacomp before bringing his sales/marketing skills to the sports industry. Since 2004, he has held several executive positions in professional sports including President of US Pro Golf Tour, Vice President of Special Projects for Back 9 Network, and Vice President of Marketing for Pin High Vodka.
Bill brings a wealth of business leadership experiences to our front office as we enter our second season with World TeamTennis in Orlando. His creativity, and enthusiasm to engage the Greater Orlando Community is second to none and will serve our business partners and fans alike.
- Mike Waddell, President, Orlando STORM
Melissa Alpuche joins the STORM as the Director of Tennis Operations & Community Engagement. A rising star in the world of sports and entertainment management, Alpuche has spent the last 10 years with AYS Sports Marketing where she served as Communications and Player Services Manager. She has extensive international and stateside tennis experience, having worked in tournaments, special events, and player management. The Philadelphia native began her career working for WTT founder Billie Jean-King and the Philadelphia Freedoms from 2009 - 2015, starting full-time at the age of 17.
Melissa's talents in putting together world-class events, paired with her extensive relationships in the tennis world will be huge assets for the Orlando STORM. Our goals are to engage the tennis community 52-weeks a year and Melissa will lead these efforts and help establish our brand in a positive way. We hit an ACE with Melissa as a part of our front office!
- Mike Waddell, President, Orlando STORM
2020 STORM Season ticket deposits are available now for only $20 per seat at www.OrlandoStormTickets.com and come with the same benefits as Returning Season Ticket Patrons from our inaugural 2019 Campaign. Fans making their 2020 deposits will select their seats prior to 2020 Season Tickets going on-sale to the general public, based on the order/date in which they are received.
2020 Season Ticket Deposit Benefits include:
- Designation as "STORM CHASERS" Charter Season Ticket Patrons
- 10% OFF the Regular 2020 Season Ticket Price
- Preseason SEASON TICKET PATRON DINNER with the STORM'S Head Coach
- Invitation to OPENING NIGHT AFTER-PARTY
- Eligibility for MONTHLY PRIZES featuring STORM and WTT Apparel & Autographed Items
- Discounts on Official ORLANDO STORM MERCHANDISE
- Opportunities to Attend EXCLUSIVE SPECIAL EVENTS Only Open to "STORM CHASERS" Season Ticket Patrons
For the latest information about the Orlando STORM please follow on the web at www.OrlandoStorm.com For Tickets, please go to www.OrlandoStormTickets.com. Follow the STORM on Instagram & Twitter @orlandostormwtt
• Discuss this story on the World TeamTennis message board...
World TeamTennis Stories from February 25, 2020
- TennisONE Becomes Official Mobile App for World TeamTennis - WTT
- Orlando Storm Announces New Leadership for 2020 - Orlando Storm
- Mardy Fish and James Blake to Coach, Celebrity Entertainment Named for Sold out 2020 WTT All-Star Event - WTT
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Storm Stories
- Orlando Storm Announces New Leadership for 2020
- Orlando Storm Expects to Build on Inaugural Season
- New York Empire Stay Alive in WTT Playoff Chase, Spoil Orlando Storm Home Finale
- Orlando Storm Surge to Largest Victory of Season, Defeat Springfield Lasers
- Orlando Storm Holds off Washington Kastles; Win 21-18 to End Six-Match Skid