OCSC Signs Chris Wehan
IRVINE, Calif. - Orange County SC has signed top free-agent midfielder Chris Wehan to a USL Championship contract, pending league and federation approval. Wehan spent 2019 and 2020 with New Mexico United in the USL Championship, netting 7 goals and 5 assists in 15 appearances during the pandemic shortened 2020 season.
"I am very excited that Chris has signed for Orange County," said OCSC Head Coach, Braeden Cloutier. "He has been a player that I have admired for several years. I look forward to adding his creativeness and professionalism to our group."
Wehan, 26, from Laguna Niguel, CA, signed his first professional contract with Reno 1868 FC in 2017, where he was named USL Assist Champion, USL First-Team All-League, and USL Rookie of the Year, with 12 assists and 8 goals. In 2018 Wehan signed with the Reno 1868 MLS affiliate San Jose Earthquakes where he made 6 appearances and 2 starts prior to being loaned back to Reno 1868 FC for the remainder of the 2018 Season. In 2019 Wehan became an inaugural member of the 2019 USL expansion team New Mexico United where he recorded 16 goals and 11 assists over 2 seasons as an attacking midfielder and established himself as one of the best players in the USL Championship.
"I am elated to join Orange County SC, a club I used to watch firsthand," said Chris Wehan. "I am extremely grateful and excited for this opportunity to move home to Southern California and play for this club that has done so well in the Championship over many years."
Growing up Wehan played club soccer for Orange County United FC and spent one year with the Cal South Olympic Development Program team where he earned a Region IV championship title. He was a standout at Aliso Niguel High School before playing at the University of New Mexico, where he scored 31 goals and was named First-Team All-Conference USA. In 2013 Wehan played for the OC Blues Strikers in the PDL.
"Chris is a first-class professional and we are very proud to bring him back home to Orange County," said OCSC President of Soccer Operations Oliver Wyss. "Chris' quality and leadership will have an immediate impact on and off the field for our club and community."
Per club policy, terms of player contracts with Orange County SC will not be released.
TRANSACTION: Orange County SC sign midfielder Chris Wehan November 2020.
Chris WehanPronunciation: Wee-hanPosition: Midfielder
Weight: 141 lbsBorn: January 29, 1994
Birthplace: Laguna Niguel, CA
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from November 6, 2020
- RGV FC Present Donations Raised to Friends for Hope - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Republic FC Celebrates National Jersey Day by Digging into Equipment Manager's Kit Collection - Sacramento Republic FC
- Houston Dynamo Will Not be Renewing the Contract of Head Coach Gerson Echeverry with RGV FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Phoenix's Solomon Asante Voted 2020 Championship Most Valuable Player - USL
- Reno 1868 FC to Cease Operations - USL
- Reno 1868 FC to Cease Operations - Reno 1868 FC
- OCSC Signs Chris Wehan - Orange County SC
- A Letter from Neill to the Fans - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- OCSC Signs USL League One Golden Boot Winner Ronaldo Damus
- Orange County SC Sign Former Real Madrid Forward Eero Markkanen
- Orange County SC Signs Former German Youth International, Patrick Rakovsky
- Orange County SC Signs Former Finland U-21 International Mikko Kuningas
- Orange County SC Signs Former Reno 1868 FC Captain Brent Richards