NLL Announces Two Home Openers for the 2018-19 Season
August 8, 2018 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) News Release
PHILADELPHIA, August 8, 2017 -The National Lacrosse League, the largest men's indoor professional league, in an unprecedented announcement releases the home opener details for the San Diego Seals inaugural game and the Saskatchewan Rush's banner raising game.
"It is important as we continue to move the league strategy forward that we also continue to better position each member club for increased success," said NLL Commissioner Nick Sakiewicz. "Releasing home opener details earlier than the full schedule allows the teams additional time to sell out their first home game plus keeps fans engaged with the team in the off season."
On Saturday, December 8th, the reigning NLL Finals Champion, Saskatchewan Rush, will host an unannounced opponent at 9:30pm ET during their Faceoff Weekend to start their 2018-19 campaign.
"We are thrilled to announce that the Saskatchewan Rush Home Opener will take place on December 8th at SaskTel Centre," said Rush Owner Bruce Urban. "This special evening will feature an exciting matchup to be announced, a historic championship banner raising, and plenty more. Mark your calendars Rush Nation!"
Heading into this season, the Rush will look to become the second team in NLL history to repeat twice in franchise history, as the Toronto Rock previously did in the 1999 - 2000 and 2002 - 2003 seasons.
As the Rush search for their fourth NLL title, the San Diego Seals are in search of their first. The Seals will also open their gates on December 8th, for the franchise's inaugural game at 10:00pm ET. After becoming the league's 10th franchise on August 29, 2017, the Seals recently announced roster transactions headlined by free agent signings of MLL All-Star and Team USA members, Marcus Holman and Joe Walters.
"It's exciting to see the light at the beginning of the tunnel," said Seals President Steve Govett. "This is a culmination of a lot of work and doesn't happen without a great relationship between the team, the league and our league partners. This represents a special day for the franchise."
The league will release its next round of home openers in the near future. 2018-19 full schedule release will occur this September. For more information and the latest news on the NLL, visit NLL.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 8, 2018
- NLL Announces the Conclusion of the 2017-18 Season Awards - NLL
- Georgia Swarm Re-Signs Crepinsek and Ranagan to Two-Year Contracts - Georgia Swarm
- Seals Opener Set for Saturday, December 8 - San Diego Seals
- Rush Home Opener Set for December 8th - Saskatchewan Rush
- NLL Announces Two Home Openers for the 2018-19 Season - NLL
- Two Roughnecks Named to All-Pro and All-Rookie Teams - Calgary Roughnecks
- Three Knighthawks Named NLL All-Pros - Rochester Knighthawks
- NLL All-Pro and All-Rookie Teams Announced - NLL
- Knighthawks' Young 'Bucks' Named to All-Rookie Teams - Rochester Knighthawks
- Georgia Swarm's Lyle Thompson Named to NLL All-Pro Second Team - Georgia Swarm
- Rock Defender Brad Kri Re-Signs - Toronto Rock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.