MLS and USL PRO Announce Groundbreaking Partnership
January 23, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK (Wednesday, January 23, 2013) - Major League Soccer and USL PRO announced today a groundbreaking, multi-year partnership that will enhance the development of professional soccer players in North America, strengthen the competition in both leagues, and establish a solid foundation for future collaboration.
For 2013, the partnership will include interleague play between USL PRO and MLS Reserve League teams, and the establishment of several exclusive team affiliations. These initial programs will immediately improve professional player development in the United States and Canada. Additional technical and commercial initiatives between the two leagues will be announced as they are finalized in the coming months.
"This partnership represents the first step in a long-term alliance between MLS and USL PRO to connect domestic professional soccer through a system that benefits player development, competition and the overall business of our sport ," MLS Executive Vice President of Player Relations & Competition Todd Durbin said. "Over the past several years, USL PRO has made great strides in restructuring their league in a manner that serves to complement the objectives of MLS. This is a win-win for all involved, and it demonstrates our strong commitment to growing North American professional soccer at all levels."
Each club affiliation will be customized to meet the needs of the respective teams, but all will include at least four players on long-term loan from the MLS parent club to its USL PRO affiliate. Those MLS teams with formal USL PRO affiliates will not participate in the 2013 MLS Reserve League. Neither MLS nor USL PRO clubs are required to enter into an affiliation, and specific affiliations will be announced in the coming days.
Each of the 13 USL PRO teams will compete in two interleague games against MLS Reserve teams. With the exception of Antigua, which will play both of its games at MLS Reserve teams, USL PRO teams have been paired with a single MLS team to play a home and home series. All interleague games will count in both the official USL PRO and MLS Reserve League standings. Details of the fixtures will be announced in conjunction with the forthcoming release of the official 2013 USL PRO schedule.
"USL PRO has for the past several years been the most sophisticated and competitive professional soccer league under MLS," USL CEO Alec Papadakis said. "This new partnership with MLS will elevate and strengthen the level of competition for domestic professional soccer while simultaneously creating a more sustainable financial model for team owners. As a result, we expect this partnership will forge a seamless system for the development of players and coaches, and promote the expansion of professional soccer into new North American markets."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 23, 2013
- Revs pursue USL PRO affiliation under new partnership - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Terminate Contract For Defender Wilman Conde - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas waives Ricardo Villar and James Marcelin - FC Dallas
- Academy Update: 2013 D.C. United Training Program open for registration - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake President Bill Manning Named Major League Soccer Executive of the Year - Real Salt Lake
- College student season ticket packages on sale now - New England Revolution
- MLS and USL PRO Announce Groundbreaking Partnership - MLS
- Sporting KC enters into affiliation with Orlando City SC - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS and USL Pro Announce Groundbreaking Partnership - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Add Trio - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bull Arena Named CONCACAF Gold Cup Venue - New York Red Bulls
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Begin Preseason Camp In Florida This Week - New York Red Bulls
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Serve as Host for 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Real Salt Lake
- CONCACAF Announces 2013 Gold Cup Host Cities and Venues - Portland Timbers
- CONCACAF Announces 2013 Gold Cup Host Cities and Venues - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Soccer Foundation Unveils Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Preseason Notebook: Supplemental Draft Offers Depth - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.