Minnesota Swarm Falls To The Bandits On The Road
SAINT PAUL, Minn. -The National Lacrosse League's (NLL) Minnesota Swarm (3-2) fell to the Buffalo Bandits (3-2) 15-12 on Friday night in front of 15,001 fans at HSBC Arena in Buffalo.
Forward Ryan Benesch led Minnesota with seven points (3g, 4a). He recorded the first goal of the fourth quarter and recorded a hat trick for the Swarm, bringing the Bandits lead down to 13-9.
Forwards Kevin Ross (1g, 1a) and Tim Campeau (1g, 1a) posted their sole goals of the game in the fourth quarter; Campeau's being his first of the season. Closing the gap to 14-11, F Andrew Watt (2g) tallied his second shorthanded goal of the game for Minnesota with 5:47 remaining. The Bandits quickly countered Watt's goal 27 seconds later.
G Nick Patterson (1a) recorded 16 saves on 23 shots. He was pulled during the second quarter after almost 21 minutes of play, and was replaced with G Kevin Croswell (2a). Croswell registered 24 saves on 32 shots in the loss.
In the third quarter, F Sean Pollock (2g) tied F Ryan Ward, currently of the Edmonton Rush, for the all-time record for most points scored by a Minnesota Swarm player. Both players share the record of 310 points.
Forward Mat Giles (1g, 2a) netted his seventh goal of the season and Pollock notched his first goal of the season in the second quarter. Buffalo held an 8-4 lead at halftime.
In the first quarter, F Aaron Wilson (1g, 1a), along with Benesch, each notched a goal for the Swarm. Buffalo led Minnesota 5-2 after the first quarter.
Forward John Tavares led Buffalo with eight points (2g, 6a). G Mike Thompson played a complete game for the Bandits and made 21saves on 33 shots.
With the loss, Minnesota ended its three-game winning streak. Buffalo now leads the all-time series against Minnesota 12-2.
Make sure to visit mnswarm.com next weekend as the Swarm hit the road to take on the Rochester Knighthawks for the second time this season on Saturday, Feb. 12 at 6:30 p.m. CST. The Knighthawks defeated the Swarm 11-10 in overtime during Minnesota's home opener on Jan. 8. Fans not near a computer during the game can text "SWARM TURF" to 91944 to receive halftime and final score updates.
Lower level single game tickets can be purchased for as low as $24 for 2011 home games. Tickets are available online at mnswarm.com or by calling 888-MN-SWARM.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Minnesota Swarm Falls To The Bandits On The Road - Minnesota Swarm
- Mammoth Seeks to Avenge Opening Night Loss to Stealth - Colorado Mammoth
- Mammoth Defenseman Davies Chose Lacrosse Over Football - Colorado Mammoth
- Knighthawk Shawn Williams: the 'Will' of a Family Man - Rochester Knighthawks
- Dickson Wins NLL Rookie of the Month - Calgary Roughnecks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton