Minnesota Swarm Fall to Knighthawks in Overtime Thriller
SAINT PAUL, Minn. -The National Lacrosse League's (NLL) Minnesota Swarm (0-1) fell to the Rochester Knighthawks (1-0) in an 11-10 overtime thriller in front of 8,242 fans on Treasure Island Field at Xcel Energy Center.
F Ryan Benesch lead the Swarm with five points (2g, 3a) and D Andrew Watt tallied four points (3g, 1a). Watt started the Swarm off with the first goal of the season in the first-quarter, tying the game at 1-1.
F Callum Crawford, the third top scorer during the 2010 season, posted the first point of the second-quarter, tallying a total of four point (2g, 2a) overall. At half-time, the Knighhawks led the Swarm 5-4.
Off of a rebound in the fourth-quarter, Benesch tied the game. Assistant Captain F Mat Giles (2g, 2a), who made his Swarm debut Saturday night and is a 12-year veteran of the NLL, scored two goals to take a 10-8 lead in the fourth-quarter. On defense, the Swarm got solid play from G Nick Patterson, who recorded 27 saves in the loss.
In their Swarm debuts, the one-two punch of D Rory Smith and D Andrew Suitor made their presence felt with several punishing hits on Knighthawk offensemen. General Manager Marty O'Neill acquired both Smith and Suitor in the off-season to add toughness on defense.
After trailing 10-8 in the fourth-quarter, the Knighthawks rallied and overtook the Swarm in overtime. Former Swarm F Craig Point sealed the deal for Rochester with a goal in overtime to give the Knighhawks a 11-10 victory.
Make sure to visit mnswarm.com next weekend as the Swarm hit the road to take on the defending NLL champion Washington Stealth on Friday, Jan.14 at 10:00 p.m. CST. Fans not near a computer during the game can text "SWARM TURF" to 91944 to receive halftime and final score updates.
Lower level single game tickets can be purchased for as low as $24 for 2011 home games. Tickets are available online at mnswarm.com or by calling 888-MN-SWARM.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 8, 2011
- Ranger Leads Roughnecks to 10-9 Win over Bandits - Calgary Roughnecks
- Stealth Get Title Defense Underway With OT Win - Washington Stealth
- Mammoth Drop Season Opener in OT - Colorado Mammoth
- Minnesota Swarm Fall to Knighthawks in Overtime Thriller - Minnesota Swarm
- Rock Win Opener - Toronto Rock
- Wings Fall 10-6 in Season Opener - Philadelphia Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton