Memphis Express Daily Update
- The Express started practice at 10 am CT on Friday at Cornerstone Christian School.
- Friday marked the second of two joint practices this week. The Express met the Salt Lake Stallions for the entirety of Friday's practice, competing in 7-on-7s, line drills, 11-on-11, two-minute drills, field goals, and overtime situations.
- QB Zach Mettenberger (LSU) went 4-for-4 in a two-minute drill resulting in a 31-yard touchdown pass to WR Reece Horn (Indianapolis). Mettenberger started the drive with a pair of checkdowns to WR Fabian Guerra (Fairmont State) over the middle to pick up a first down. RB Jahad Thomas (Temple) caught the next pass and weaved his way to the 31, getting out of bounds to stop the clock. Mettenberger unloaded a deep ball down the right sideline to Horn on the next snap. Horn displayed some impressive footwork to get inside the pylon.
- The Express got off to a quick start during punt coverage drills to open Friday's practice. CB Justin Martin (Tennessee) recovered a muffed punt for a scoop-and-score touchdown on the opening play. WR Drew Morgan (Arkansas) went the distance on the return team's first rep.
- The defense hauled in four interceptions over the course of the morning. CB Tyree Robinson (Western Kentucky) ended the Salt Lake drive following Mettenberger's touchdown pass with a pick over the middle on the first snap. Robinson snagged his second interception on Salt Lake's final drive of the day. CB Channing Stribling (Michigan) and CB Travell Dixon (Washington) each contributed interceptions during situational 11-on-11 work.
- K Josh Jasper (LSU) went 4-for-5 on field goal attempts with a long of 38.
- DL Corey Vereen (Tennessee) and DL Montori Hughes (Memphis) combined on a sack to stall a Stallion drive in two-minute drills. DL Anthony Johnson (LSU) supplied a run stuff in red zone work.
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the team's improvement over the course of Friday's practice: "I was talking to my coordinator Dennis Thurman who said it just took us a little while to get acclimated. After yesterday, we didn't want to make those same mistakes again on the extracurricular things. It took a little while to get in a groove, find out where the boundaries are, and get into this thing. I think every team has to find their own groove."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the benefits of game action against an opponent: "It was kind of a game atmosphere early on, especially being on the same field and not operating on two fields, that was really good. We had a little bit of a pregame. It was a good vibe. It's all about consistency between now and next week. We have to get more consistent."
- QB Zach Mettenberger (LSU) on final drive: "We're doing a lot of good things, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. Offensive football is all 11 guys doing the right thing at all times. We're still sometimes one guy short on that. We're making the right strides as a team. It's a lot to be hopeful for and excited about."
- QB Zach Mettenberger (LSU) on the team's response Friday to Coach Singletary's words at the end of Thursday's practice: ""He keeps it real. He understands it starts with us. We have to be self-motivated everyday and put our best foot forward. He definitely jumped on us yesterday, and it gave us a little kick in the butt to get going today for sure."
Images from this story
Anthony Rhone of the Memphis Express meets the Salt Lake Stallions in a joint practice
Memphis Express quarterback Brandon Silvers passes against the Salt Lake Stallions during a joint practice
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 18, 2019
- Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Friday, January 18, 2019 - Arizona Hotshots
- Memphis Express Daily Update - Memphis Express
- January 18, 2019 - Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.