Memphis Express Daily Update Tuesday
- The Express took the field at 3:30 pm CT on Tuesday at S.T.A.R. Soccer Complex.
- The Express went through two hours of padless practice installing offense and defense, individual drills, 7-on-7 work, 11-on-11, and punt team.
- The Express returns to Cornerstone Christian School on Wednesday morning.
- During 7-on-7s, CB Terrell Bonds (Tennessee State) undercut an out pattern on the left side for a pick six.
- All four quarterbacks lit up the short 11-on-11 portion of practice, going a combined 9-for-10 during the segment. QB Brandon Silvers (Troy) paced the unit with a perfect 4-for-4 outing, including a deep pass to WR Xavier Rush (Memphis), who secured a juggling catch while falling to the turf along the sideline.
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on his quarterbacks and receivers: "It's been fun to watch. We have a lot of competition at receiver and quarterback, as well. Everyday they're out here, they have to put their best foot forward. On the other side, the defensive backs are challenging them. It's good competition all the way around."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on padded practice beginning tomorrow: "Guys are always excited about pads until they get them. And then you really do find out who the real football players are. A lot of guys have shown well, and I'm hoping tomorrow that when we get the pads on, we'll see that we have a lot of good players. I'm excited to see what we've got."
- QB Brandon Silvers (Troy) on the connection between quarterbacks and receivers: "It goes back to minicamp. We had two good practices there. It's hard rotating in and out, but we've got four good quarterbacks and a lot of receivers. We've tried to work after practice a little bit, one on one, and get used to each other."
- QB Brandon Silvers (Troy) on the quarterback room: "We're all here to try to make the team, to go out there and compete. We're all here for a reason. We all played for different schools, some bigger than others, but we're all here and the best guy is going to get the job."
- QB Zach Mettenberger (LSU) on his observations through three days of training camp: "We're playing at a high tempo. Everybody's in their book learning what to do. It's exciting to see guys on day three executing so early. There's a lot of competition out there to make this team so guys are stepping up to make those big plays."
Images from this story
Juwan Offray and Jeremy Cutrer of the Memphis Express
Luke Papilion and Brandon Silvers at Memphis Express practice
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 8, 2019
- Memphis Express Daily Update Tuesday - Memphis Express
- Arizona Hotshots Make First Roster Changes of Training Camp - Arizona Hotshots
- SD Fleet Daily Update - San Diego Fleet
- Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
- San Antonio Commanders Daily Training Camp Update for Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders
- San Antonio Commanders Announce Partnership with Alamo Beer Company - San Antonio Commanders
- Salt Lake Stallions Daily Update - Salt Lake Stallions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.