Lorito and Russo Named 2017 AHL All-Star Classic Participants
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The American Hockey League announced on Thursday that Grand Rapids Griffins forward Matt Lorito and defenseman Robbie Russo have been selected to play for the Central Division All-Star Team at the 2017 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Capital BlueCross, to be held Jan. 29-30 at the PPL Center in Allentown, Pa.
Each of the AHL's four divisions will be represented by 12 players. Rosters were determined by committees of AHL coaches, and all 30 AHL teams are represented by at least one All-Star.
Lorito and Russo will join head coach Todd Nelson at the event, as Nelson earned the honor to coach the Central Division by virtue of Grand Rapids owning the division's best record as of Dec. 31.
Lorito, 26, ranks among the league's leaders with 22 assists (3rd) and 32 points (4th). The 5-foot-9, 171-pound winger has been an integral component in the Griffins' vaunted league-leading power play attack, as his 18 power play points (4-14 - 18) and 14 power play assists both tie for third on the circuit. His 10 multi-point games are tops on the team.
Lorito has been selected to his first all-star game in his second year as a professional. He was named the AHL's Player of the Week for the period ending Nov. 20 to garner his first career league accolade.
A four-year player for the Brown Bears (ECAC), Lorito led the Albany Devils in assists (36) and points (18-36 - 54) as a rookie last season.
Russo, 23, paces all Griffins defensemen in scoring and ties for 15th among AHL blueliners with 18 points (5-13 - 18). The 6-foot, 195-pound Russo ties for third on the team with two game-winning goals and places fifth with a plus-six rating.
Russo is the first player in franchise history to be named to a year-end All-Star Team, an All-Rookie Team and an All-Star Classic.
During a historic rookie campaign in 2015-16, Russo became the first player in the team's 20-year history to earn both All-Rookie and All-Star Team accolades in the same season when he was named to the AHL Second All-Star Team. Russo tallied five goals and 34 assists (5-34 - 39) in 71 games for Grand Rapids, while posting a league-leading plus-40 rating.
A native of Westmont, Ill., Russo played four seasons at the University of Notre Dame, including serving as captain his senior year.
Complete rosters for the 2017 AHL All-Star Classic can be found here.
The 2017 AHL All-Star Skills Competition presented by Giant Food Stores and Velaspan on Jan. 29 (7:30 p.m.) will pit the All-Stars from the two Eastern Conference divisions against those from the two Western Conference divisions in seven skills events.
In the 2017 AHL All-Star Challenge on Jan. 30 (7 p.m.), the four teams will participate in a round-robin tournament featuring six games of 10 minutes each, played entirely at 3-on-3. The two teams with the best records at the end of the round-robin will face off for the championship, a six-minute game also played at 3-on-3.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2017
- All-Star Game for Abbott in Allentown - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Donning Animal Adoption Awareness Jerseys - Chicago Wolves
- Carlsson Returned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Forward A.J. Greer and Goaltender Spencer Martin Selected to 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Sign Forward John McCarron to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Wolf Pack Forward Nicklas Jensen Named to Atlantic Division All-Star Classic Team - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Single Event Tickets on Sale Now for 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Manitoba Moose Roslovic Named AHL All-Star - Manitoba Moose
- Agostino, Hunt Selected as 2017 AHL All-Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Jordan Subban to Represent the Comets at the 2017 American Hockey - Utica Comets
- Ontario's LoVerde and Brodzinski Join Stothers at AHL All-Star - Ontario Reign
- Taylor, Leier, Jordan Weal, T.J. Brennan Named to 2017 AHL All-Star - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devon Toews Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Barberio, Lindgren Named to AHL All-Star - St. John's IceCaps
- Cole Schneider, Linus Ullmark Named to American Hockey League - Rochester Americans
- Penguins' Guentzel, Jarry Named to AHL All-Star - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Matt Taormina and Yanni Gourde Named 2017 AHL All-Stars - Syracuse Crunch
- Bailey Selected to 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Binghamton Senators
- Lorito and Russo Named 2017 AHL All-Star Classic Participants - Grand Rapids Griffins
- NEWS Michael Leighton Selected to AHL All-Star Classic - Charlotte Checkers
- Blandisi, Quenneville Selected to 2017 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Albany Devils
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Oliver Bjorkstrand, Ryan Craig to Represent - Cleveland Monsters
- McINTYRE, HEINEN NAMED TO 2017 AHL ALL-STAR CLASSIC ROSTER - Providence Bruins
- Teemu Pulkkinen Named Western Conference All Star - Iowa Wild
- Rosters Announced for 2017 AHL All-Star Classic Presented by Capital BlueCross - AHL
- IceCaps Sign Forward Anthony Camara to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- IceCaps Sign Defenceman Reggie Traccitto to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Albany Devils Transaction -- 01.05.2017 - Albany Devils
- Pirates Spring Training National Anthem Auditions - Portland Pirates
- Pelech Recalled by the New York Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Sign Alexandre Ranger to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Rampage Three-Game Win Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to San Jose - San Antonio Rampage
- Toronto Edges Manitoba, 4-3 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.