Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
January 28, 2020 - American Hockey League (AHL)
This past week the Canadian Football League announced the Saskatchewan Roughriders will face the Toronto Argonauts on July 25th in the first-ever regular season game played in Halifax, Greg Gurenlian of the Premier Lacrosse League's Redwoods announced his retirement after 22 seasons in lacrosse, and former Arena Football League president John Adams was named president of International League Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.
Highlights from this week are from the American Hockey League, Western Hockey League, United States Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, NBA G League, NBL Canada, National Lacrosse League, Premier Lacrosse League, XFL and Pacific Coast League.
American Hockey League
2020 AHL All-Star Skills Competition Highlights
Western Hockey League
Regina Pats forward Riley Krane busts out the silky mitts for his 12th goal of the the season:
United States Hockey League
Travis Treloar of the Lincoln Stars pulled off the famous 'Michigan' goal. What a thing of beauty. Goal of the year?
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
Shorthanded. Breakaway. Tyler Hinam wasn't missing this one for the Cape Breton Eagles.
NBA G League
Top Plays of the Week
National Basketball League of Canada
In Chuck Miller's latest Cool Stat of the Week, he takes a look at the shortest players in league history to ever step on an NBL Canada court.
National Lacrosse League
Josh Byrne leads the way with 7 goals in the Buffalo Bandits' thrilling 13-12 OT win vs the Colorado Mammoth.
Miles Thompson catches the rebound and scores the game winner as the Georgia Swarm beat the New England Black Wolves 11-10 in overtime.
The San Diego Seals and Colorado Mammoth will make history when they play the first ever NLL game in Las Vegas on Saturday night. Devan Kaney sat down with both teams to find out how Vegas became a lacrosse destination.
Premier Lacrosse League
The Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) has announced that the league will host its third week of play this summer at Stony Brook University in New York. On June 12 and 13, the PLL will play a total of three games at the school's Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.
Greg Gurenlian has hung up the cleats for his final time. Played 22 seasons. He truly revolutionized the face-off position.
St. Louis BattleHawks offensive tackle Matt McCants returning home to see his son after three weeks of training camp is EVERYTHING.
Canadian Football League
The Confederacao Brasileira de Futebol Americano (CBFA), the gridiron football federation of Brazil, has reached an agreement with the Canadian Football League (CFL) to collectively grow the game. Brazil becomes the 13th nation to see its gridiron football leadership sign a co-operative agreement with Canada's professional football league.
The biggest Touchdown Atlantic ever is coming to Halifax this summer, the Canadian Football League (CFL) announced. Rider Nation will invade Nova Scotia when the Saskatchewan Roughriders face the Toronto Argonauts on Saturday, July 25 in the first-ever regular season game played in Halifax. The game will be preceded by a three-day "mini Grey Cup festival' featuring music, parties and tons of family-friendly fun.
United Soccer League One
FC Tucson announced that Amanda Powers has taken the reins as the club's first-ever President. A San Diego, California native, Powers arrives in Tucson following a successful run as start-up Chief Operating Officer for New Mexico United, a USL Championship team that had arguably one of the best expansion club performances and led the league in attendance, ticket, and merchandise sales.
The Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre RailRiders officially announced John Adams as the team's new president. Members of the RailRiders ownership group were on hand to welcome Adams into his new role ahead of the 2020 season. Adams, 40, is a native of Renovo, Pennsylvania, and returns his baseball roots with this new role.
South Atlantic League
The Pittsburgh Pirates announced Kieran Mattison will be the new manager for the 2020 Greensboro Grasshoppers. Kieran Mattison is in his fourth season as a manager in the Pirates system. He spent the 2019 season with Bristol and led the club to a 34-33 record, with a postseason berth for the first time since 2002.
Pacific Coast League
The Colorado Rockies put on a show with their top 3 minor league baseball plays.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 28, 2020
- Roadrunners to Host Wedding on Ice at Friday's Game - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Stars Shine Bright at All-Star Classic - Hershey Bears
- Kris Versteeg Designer Hat and Fleece Blanket Giveaways Highlight this Weekend - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Youth Jersey Giveaway Friday with $2 Beer and $1 Hot Dogs - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino March 2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Weekly: Penguins Look to Continue Winning Ways After All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Condors Skinner Named CCM / AHL Player of the Week - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield's Stuart Skinner Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Larsson Reassigned to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tucson Shines Bright at AHL All-Star Classic - Tucson Roadrunners
- Atlantic Division Prevails in 2020 AHL All-Star Challenge - AHL
- Aho Helps Atlantic Division Win All-Star Challenge - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hershey's Vitek Vanecek Named AHL All-Star Challenge MVP - Hershey Bears
- North Division Goes Winless in All-Star Challenge - Belleville Senators
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.