Know Your Opponent: Sky Blue FC
Since the last time the Pride faced Sky Blue, the New Jersey-based club announced additions to its coaching staff in Interim Head Coach Freya Coombe. Coombe joins Sky Blue from New York Soccer Club (NYSC), an official Girls Development Academy partner of the club, where she served as the Director of Scouting and a Development Academy Coach. She takes over for Goalkeeper Coach Hugo Macedo, who led the team to a 4-2-4 record while overseeing the squad following the removal of Denise Reddy as the club's head coach earlier this season.
Sky Blue enters Sunday's match riding a 1-2-0 record in the month of September, with the victory coming in their last match this past Saturday against Reign FC. Carli Lloyd scored the game-winner in that match to secure all three points for Sky Blue on the road for the club's fifth win of the season.
Carli Lloyd has scored each of Sky Blue's last four goals, all coming in the club's last four matches. Lloyd leads Sky Blue with six finishes this season despite missing nearly three months of the NWSL season while away at the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup. Raquel Rodriguez follows Lloyd with three finishes in 2019.
The Pride sit at 7-3-2 against Sky Blue in Club history and will look for the season sweep on Sunday, having earned victories in their previous two matchups this season. In their first visit to New Jersey, the Pride earned a 2-1 victory on June 22 before battling to a 1-0 shutout victory on July 20 at Exploria Stadium. The Pride have earned victories in six of their last seven matches against Sunday's opposition.
Rasmussen College Fun Fact
Sunday's match will be played at Red Bull Arena as opposed to Sky Blue's home at Yurcak Field. The club decided to move the match to the home of MLS club New York Red Bulls due to a demand for tickets. This will mark the first time in Club history the Pride will play at Red Bull Arena and the second time Sky Blue will host a match there this season. The first came on August 18 against Reign FC in front of a club-record crowd of 9,415.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 28, 2019
- Nagasato's Late Goal Gives Chicago Key Victory - Chicago Red Stars
- Utah Royals FC Knocked out of Playoff Contention with 2-1 Loss at Chicago Red Stars - Utah Royals FC
- Spirit Best Courage in Late Thriller - Washington Spirit
- NC Courage Narrowly Fall to Washington Spirit 2-1 Despite Dominant Performance - North Carolina Courage
- Match Forecast: Reign FC Hosts Portland for Fan Appreciation Match - OL Reign
- Know Your Opponent: Sky Blue FC - Orlando Pride
- Match Preview: Sky Blue FC vs Orlando Pride at Red Bull Arena - Sky Blue FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Pride Stories
- Orlando City, Pride to Host Orlando City Foundation Annual Turkey Giveaway Presented by Publix on Monday
- Racing Louisville Selects Alanna Kennedy, NWSL Rights to Caitlin Foord in 2020 Expansion Draft
- Orlando Pride Announces Protected List for 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft
- Orlando Pride Announces 2020 End of Season Roster Statuses
- Pride Erase Three-Goal Deficit to Draw North Carolina in Fall Series Finale