Know Your Opponent: NJ/NY Gotham FC
Out of 24 players on its current roster, 23 are returnees for Gotham FC, with the NJ/NY-based club making two moves this past offseason, one of those being midfielder Jennifer Cudjoe who finished 2020 only to be selected by Racing Louisville in the 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft. However, Sky Blue quickly reacquired the Ghana-born midfielder, making a trade with Louisville on draft night at the 2021 NWSL Draft to bring Cudjoe back to Gotham. Lee So-dam serves as the side's only true addition prior to the year, signed as a free agent on Jan. 5.
Wednesday will mark the 2021 Challenge Cup opener for Gotham FC, with its most recent activity coming in the form of its rebrand from its former name of Sky Blue FC. Announced just one week prior to opening its 2021 slate, Gotham unveiled its new name and crest, paying homage to its New Jersey roots while embracing the club's growth into the New York City market.
Ifeoma Onumonu finished the 2020 NWSL Fall Series as Gotham's leading scorer, netting three goals in four matches, tied for third in the league following the competition. Finishing the Fall Series with a record of 2-2-0, Paige Mongahan was also able to find the back of the net twice in the side's four-game slate, while Midge Purce bagged a finish of her own to round out the club's scoring throughout the competition.
The Pride are unbeaten in their last three matchups with Wednesday's opposition, with an overall record of 5-3-3 against the NJ/NY-based side. However, Wednesday will make 563 days since the teams last faced each other, with the last fixture between the two clubs coming on Sept. 29, 2019, when the two clubs faced off at Red Bull Arena. The sides battled to a 1-1 draw in a match that saw Pride forward Sydney Leroux make her return to the pitch just three short months after giving birth to her second child, daughter Roux.
Rasmussen College Fun Fact
Wednesday will mark the first time the Pride will feature in front of fans at Exploria Stadium since Oct. 12, 2019, along with the debut of the Club's 2021 Ad Astra kit in action. Fans looking to purchase tickets for the midweek matchup can do so at Orlando-Pride.com or by calling (855) ORL-CITY. Those looking to get their hands on the 2021 jersey can pre-order at ShopOrlandoPride.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from April 13, 2021
- NWSL Initiates Investigation Based on Anti-Discrimination Policy - NWSL
- NWSL Disciplinary Committee Issues Decisions - NWSL
- NJ/NY Gotham FC Ready for Debut in 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup Opener in Orlando - NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Orlando Pride Returns to Exploria Stadium to Face NJ/NY Gotham FC - Orlando Pride
- Know Your Opponent: NJ/NY Gotham FC - Orlando Pride
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Pride Stories
- Konya Plummer Called up by the Jamaican National Team
- Broadcast Schedule Revealed for 2021 Orlando Pride Regular Season
- Orlando Pride Close 2021 Challenge Cup with Scoreless Draw at North Carolina
- Storylines: Pride at North Carolina Courage
- Orlando Pride Travel to North Carolina on Saturday