July 21 Match (Philadelphia at Vegas) Earns Record Television Viewing Audience in WTT's Television Debut on CBS
July 25, 2019 - World TeamTennis (WTT) News Release
Sunday's debut of World TeamTennis on CBS (July 21, 4 pm - 6 pm ET) featuring the Philadelphia Freedoms at Vegas Rollers delivered 409,000 viewers, making it the most watched match in the league's 44-year history. The Freedoms, led by Feliciano Lopez, prevailed 21-18 over the expansion Rollers, led by the Bryan brothers (Bob and Mike Bryan), 2016 Olympic Gold Medalist Monica Puig and American Sam Querrey.
The match was the first for World TeamTennis (WTT) on new broadcast partner CBS Sports, which also includes 15 matches on CBS Sports Network during the league's three-week season and playoffs (July 14 - August 3). Additionally, the league saw a spike in traffic related to Sunday's marquee match, delivering 175,000 video plays across the WTT channels (Social, Website, Video Partners) over the three-day period (before, day of, after) which included highlights, promos, features and other content.
The WTT Playoffs are televised live and exclusively on CBS Sports Network next week at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, with the WTT semifinals airing Aug. 2 at 7 p.m. ET and 10 p.m. ET and the WTT Final airing Aug. 3 at 7 p.m. ET.
Below are the results from the July 21 match (Philadelphia at Vegas) on CBS:
Philadelphia Freedoms def. VEGAS ROLLERS 21-18
Mixed Doubles - Monica PuigBob Bryan (Rollers) def. Raquel AtawoFabrice Martin (Freedoms) 5-3
Women's Doubles - Raquel AtawoTaylor Townsend (Freedoms) def. Harriet DartAsia Muhammad (Rollers) 5-0
Men's Doubles - Fabrice MartinAdrian Mannarino (Freedoms) def. Mike BryanBob Bryan (Rollers) 5-4
Women's Singles - Monica Puig (Rollers) def. Taylor Townsend (Freedoms) 5-3
Men's Singles - Feliciano Lopez (Freedoms) def. Sam Querrey (Rollers) 5-4
• Discuss this story on the World TeamTennis message board...
World TeamTennis Stories from July 25, 2019
- July 21 Match (Philadelphia at Vegas) Earns Record Television Viewing Audience in WTT's Television Debut on CBS - WTT
- Taylor Townsend, Serving Freedom for Past Six Years - Philadelphia Freedoms
- Venus Headlines against Freedoms Tonight at 7PM - Washington Kastles
- Empire Earn Key Road Win in Race for Playoffs - Orange County Breakers
- Springfield Lasers Feel Better After Win against San Diego Aviators - Springfield Lasers
- New York Empire Prevail in Thrilling Match against Orange County Breakers, 20-19 - New York Empire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.