Independence Showcased At NSCAA Convention In Philly
PHILADELPHIA, PA (January 12, 2009) The National Soccer Coaches Association of America Convention (NSCAA) begins next week in Philadelphia, and the Independence Women's Professional Soccer team will be involved extensively in the event. The NSCAA is the largest coaches' organization in the United States and one of the most respected institutions in soccer. Since its founding in 1941, it has grown to include more than 30,000 members who coach both genders at all levels of the sport. This year marks the 63rd Annual NSCAA Convention, which is held in different cities across the US each year and will be taking place in Philadelphia for 2010. The location this year is timed perfectly with the launch of the WPS in Philadelphia, and the Independence has successfully embedded itself in the Convention, appearing as exhibitors, clinicians, panelists, reception hosts, presenters, guest speakers, and honorees.
The number of attendees at the Convention has reached nearly 10,000 in past years, with over 300 exhibitors and some of the biggest names in soccer appearing at the event. As an exhibitor, the Independence will host a booth Thursday, Friday, and Saturday where visitors can discuss all the latest team news, get free Independence giveaways, purchase tickets, and meet Independence players and coaches. The team's exhibit area is shared with partners United Sports and PrimoSport and located directly across from the WPS and Puma booths. Autograph sessions and photo opportunities with Independence players will be held at the exhibit space during designated times over the course of the three days, giving fans an opportunity to welcome the Independence players to Philadelphia.
Caroline Seger, the first International Draft pick and Swedish National Team Captain, will make her first-ever visit to Philly to take part in the Convention and visit the team's practice facility in Downingtown. One of Caroline's appearances will be at the WPS Puma Uniform Unveiling to model the 2010 Independence uniform, a duty she will share with Independence teammate, Amy Rodriguez. Lori Lindsey will be representing the Independence as a featured speaker at the Social for Coaches of Female Athletes, an event hosted by the Independence and the NSCAA Women's Committee. Another Independence player, defender Sue Weber, has been invited by Top Drawer Soccer to help present the Soccer Products of the Year Awards and recognize the most innovative and successful soccer products of 2009. Head Coach Paul Riley will conduct a session titled "The Importance of Ball Work, Ball Mastery, and Ball Creativity."
"We are very proud to have our coach and several of our players representing the league and our team at this important NSCAA Convention next week" says Associate GM and Director of Operations, Louise Waxler. "As we prepare to kick off our inaugural season, having the NSCAA Convention take place on our home turf is a fantastic opportunity for us to showcase our successes to date and exciting road ahead. It's an outstanding event that brings together soccer enthusiasts of every sort, and we are excited that the Independence can be involved in so many ways."
As a former NSCAA president, Louise will be taking part in numerous events over the course of the four-day Convention. She will be recognized on Saturday morning at the Women's Committee Breakfast, where WPS Star Yael Averbuch is the keynote speaker, for receiving this year's NSCAA Award of Excellence. Additionally, Louise will serve as both a panelist and a guest speaker at several different workshops at the Convention.
The convention is also another important step in building the Independence roster, with the 2010 WPS College Draft taking place on Friday. Although the Independence traded its first round selections for several proven WPS veterans, Head Coach Paul Riley still has roster spots to fill and can select up to five players in Friday's draft.
NSCAA Convention - Summary of Philadelphia Independence Activities/Events
Thursday, Jan 14:
* 7:00-10:00PM NSCAA Exhibit Hall Grand Opening, Philadelphia Independence in Main Hall, Hospitality and Ticket Sales Booth #1129
* 9:30-11:30PM Social for Coaches of Female Athletes, presented by the Independence and NSCAA Women's Committee, Louise Waxler and Lori Lindsey Speakers
Friday, Jan 15:
* 9:00AM-5:00PM WPS 2010 College Draft
* 12N-1:00PM Autograph Session, Amy Rodriguez, WPS 2009 No. 1 College Draft Selection, U.S. Women's National Team Player
* 5:00-6:00PM Soccer Products of the Year Awards presented by Top Drawer Soccer, Sue Weber Presenter
* 7:00-9:00PM PUMA 2010 WPS Uniform Unveiling, Caroline Seger and Amy Rodriguez Modeling Independence Uniforms for 2010 Season
Saturday, Jan 16
* 8:00-9:30AM NSCAA Women's Soccer Breakfast, Louise Waxler Honored as Winner of 2009 Award of Excellence
* 2:30-3:45PM Session: "The Importance of Ball Work, Ball Mastery, and Ball Creativity", Head Coach Paul Riley
* 2:30-3:30PM Autograph Session, Caroline Seger, WPS 2010 No. 1 International Draft Selection, Swedish National Team Captain
Additional details about this year's NSCAA Convention, and all the exciting things happening in the world of Women's Professional Soccer, can be found at www.wpsphillyindependence.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from January 12, 2010
- Independence Showcased At NSCAA Convention In Philly - Philadelphia Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Independence Stories
- Philadelphia Independence Statement in Response to WPSL Elite Division
- Philadelphia Independence Sign Icelandic Duo
- Philadelphia Independence Signs Lori Chalupny
- Philadelphia Independence Re-signs Pair of Defenders
- Independence Adds Depth, Strengthens Frontline At 2012 WPS Draft