Hugo Silva Gets First-Ever Home Shutout as Tropics Roll Past Dallas Sidekicks, 8-0
LAKELAND, Fla. - Three goals in the span of just over three minutes early in the second half, and strong goaltending by Hugo Silva, lifted the Florida Tropics to an 8-0 win over the Dallas Sidekicks in Major Arena Soccer League action Saturday night at the RP Funding Center in Lakeland.
It was the second shutout in team history, and first at home. Ironically, the Tropics got a 7-0 shutout win in Dallas last year, but Brett Petricek was the goalkeeper that night. Silva, a second team All MASL selection last year, stopped all 23 of the Sidekicks shots.
The win also tied a team record for best start to a season at 5-0, and extended the team's winning streak at home to 12 consecutive games.
Dallas has now gone 1:30.51 without scoring against Florida. Their last goal against the Tropics came Jan. 6, 2017 in a Tropics win at home when Cameron Brown scored 4:09 into the fourth quarter.
"We actually talked before the game about a shutout," Coach Clay Roberts said. "We felt like we really wanted to step up the defensive effort while at the same time consistently keep up a good tempo, which we did especially well in the second half. Hugo had some really difficult saves that he made looked easier than they were, and he did a tremendous job controlling any rebounds all night long. "
It was just a 1-0 game at intermission on a goal by Guilherme, who started the third quarter onslaught at the 1:13 mark of the third with his second of the game. That was followed quickly by goals by Joey Tavernese (3:43) and Ian Bennett (4:21) to make it a 4-0 score.
Florida got additional second-half goals by Tavernese, Bennett, Joshio Sandoval and Zach Reget. Captain Victor Parreiras tied a team record with four assists.
After playing five games in 14 days, the Tropics will be off now until a road trip to St. Louis to take on the Ambush Jan. 29 and 31. The Sidekicks will host Florida on Feb. 12, before the Tropics return home to meet Tacoma (Feb. 18), San Diego (Feb. 19) and Ontario (Feb 21) as the RP Funding Center hosts six MASL games in four days,.
The league is announcing schedules only a month at a time because of the pandemic restrictions, but the final games of the regular season will be played by April 18.
Single game tickets are available through the team's Facebook page (click on the event link), or by calling 863-240-0101. Tickets will also be available gameday at the RP Funding Center box office. The team and arena have devised a socially distanced seating plan that can accommodate approximately 1,500 fans per game. Facial coverings will be required for those in attendance.
Images from this story
Florida Tropics goalkeeper Hugo Silva
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 16, 2021
- Ambush Come from Behind to Clip Comets 7-6 - Kansas City Comets
- St. Louis Ambush Grind out Home Opener Win - St. Louis Ambush
- Tropics Shut out Sidekicks 8-0 in Florida - Dallas Sidekicks
- Hugo Silva Gets First-Ever Home Shutout as Tropics Roll Past Dallas Sidekicks, 8-0 - Florida Tropics SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Tropics Get Back on Track in Nipping Ontario Fury, 8-7, to Close Home Portion of 2021 Schedule
- Tropics Drop Second Straight Overtime Game, this Time 4-3 to San Diego Sockers
- Tropics Give up Game Winner 10 Seconds into OT as Tacoma Scores 7-6 Comeback Win
- MASL's 'Sunshine Series' Will Come to Lakeland with Six Games in Four Days this Weekend
- Florida Adds UCFC Midfielder Nate Bourdeau for Remainder of 2021 MASL Season