NFL, NBA, NHL stats

Generals fall 1-3

October 17, 2009 - USL First Division (USL-1) - FC New York News Release

FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals, proud members of the IHL, lost 1-3 Saturday night at Perani Arena in their first ever meeting with the Quad City Mallards. It was the Generals' second game in two nights at Perani.

The first period was tight but at the end of twenty minutes there was no score on the board. The best chance of the period was given to the Generals' Captain Tony Tuzzolino who got a penalty shot at the 16:35 mark of first. Tuzzolino deeked and tried to go 5-hole but was denied by Mallards netminder Sebastien Laplante. Tuzzolino had a great opportunity earlier in the period on a breakaway but could not take advantage.

Just under four minutes into the middle period of the game, Quad City lit the lamp on Flint goalie Rob Nolan. Mallard Patrick Levesque was fed a pass from Terry Harrison; the time of the goal was at the 3:58 mark.

With the game reaching its mid-way mark, Flint's Derek Parker and Quad City's Jason Goulet circled each other and skated down the ice into the Flint's defensive zone to dropping their gloves in the process. Only a few punches were thrown but both men received five minute penalties for fighting, with Parker getting an additional two minutes for slashing, the penalties were at 8:07.

The Mallards had a great wraparound chance with less than five minutes to go in the second but Nolan was able to shut the door, keep the score at 0-1 Mallards and the Generals within one lucky bounce or one great shot of tying things up.

But .28 seconds into the third, Juris Stals put the Mallards up 2-0 with a shot from the right circle, beating Nolan high on the glove side. Jean Desrochers got the assist.

Reaching the half-way point of the third, John Ronan came close to bringing the Generals within one when he found himself alone in front of the net with the puck but Laplante was able to snatch the puck out of the air before it could cross the goal line.

Flint had a power play opportunity with 3 minutes to go but it was a failed attempt. The Mallards went up 3-0 on an empty netter with a goal from Terry Harrison at 19: 09. The Generals got a goal from John Mori at 19:28, keeping Quad City from getting the shutout.

The fans at Perani were bundled up tonight with the heat being inoperable. Due to the unfortunate mechanical malfunction, the Generals request all fans hold on to their ticket stubs and listen to and watch the local media and Generals website ( for a generous offer from the Flint Generals in the next few days. Your understanding is appreciated.

• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...

USL First Division Stories from October 17, 2009

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent FC New York Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew