FC Tulsa Re-Signs Keeper Sean Lewis on Multiyear Contract
TULSA - FC Tulsa's MVP will be back between the sticks. The club announced a new multiyear contract for goalkeeper Sean Lewis on Thursday morning after he posted a career-best 2020 season. The deal is pending league and federation approval, and specific terms of the deal were not disclosed, per club policy.
"It's obvious to see the impact that Sean had for FC Tulsa last year," said FC Tulsa head coach Michael Nsien. "With Sean at the keeper position, you know you will have a great opportunity for 3 points in every match. We have secured a very important player for our club's future."
Lewis, 28, led FC Tulsa to a USL Championship playoff spot, playing every minute of the season in net. His four clean sheets and 1.07 goals against average in 15 regular season matches were both career highs in his five-year as a pro. While finishing third in the USL Championship with 51 regular season saves in 2020, Lewis spearheaded Tulsa's worst-to-first turnaround in Save Pct. This season, FC Tulsa finished 1st in the league with a 78.5% save rate after finishing last in 2019 at 61.3%.
"It's an exciting opportunity for me to stay involved with this team and where we're going," said Lewis. "It's always great to have a steady performance that the club recognizes and wants to keep around. It says a lot about the club's leadership, the ownership of the club, and what they're doing to keep us around because consistency is key with players."
This new deal will see the Rockford, Mich. native enter his third season in Tulsa, since arriving prior to the start of the 2019 campaign and his fifth season overall in the USL Championship. Before going pro, Lewis played collegiately for Western Michigan University before transferring to Oakland University for his senior season.
Lewis is the first player announced to FC Tulsa's 2021 roster.
Images from this story
FC Tulsa goalkeeper goalkeeper Sean Lewis
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from November 19, 2020
- Returning for 2021: McCrary a Rock in Republic FC's Backline - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Re-Sign Austin Dewing - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Charlotte Independence Continues 2021 Deposits - Charlotte Independence
- Leading Scorer Lancaster Staying with LouCity on Multiyear Deal - Louisville City FC
- FC Tulsa Re-Signs Keeper Sean Lewis on Multiyear Contract - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Tulsa Stories
- FC Tulsa Signs Forward Joaquin Rivas from Saint Louis FC
- FC Tulsa's Toby Uzo Wins 2020 USL Championship Goal of the Year
- FC Tulsa Re-Signs Keeper Sean Lewis on Multiyear Contract
- FC Tulsa Signs Head Coach Michael Nsien to Multiyear Contract Extension
- 2021 FC Tulsa Season Tickets Now Available Online