FC Gold Pride Falls 2-0 to Saint Louis Athletica in Season Opener
HAYWARD, CA. (April 11, 2010) - FC Gold Pride (0-1-0) opened up the 2010 WPS season on the road facing off with the Saint Louis Athletica (1-0-0), the same team they closed the season against in 2009. The Pride fell 2-0 to Saint Louis on Sunday, after conceding two goals from Athletica's Eniola Aluko.
The Pride took the field for the first time in 2010 looking to carry their momentum from a strong preseason into the first game. Kelley O'Hara, in her first professional game, worked hard for her team creating multiple scoring opportunities but to no avail. Ultimately it was the Athletica that would strike first in the match as Aluko scored her first goal of the season in the 39th minute, after receiving a ball from Shannon Boxx.
"We came out tentative in the first half and it took awhile to find a rhythm," said Pride Head Coach Albertin Montoya. "But we came out in the second half with more energy and created a lot of opportunities, but unfortunately couldn't put the ball in the back of the net."
FC Gold Pride came out in the second half more aggressive and increased the pressure on the Athletica to push for the equalizer, but Hope Solo and her defense remained strong throughout the second half. Tiffeny Milbrett showed her tenacity and endurance continuing to create some offense for the Pride but again, the team came up empty. Midway through the second half, Athletica went up 2-0, when Aluko combined with Boxx again, this time on a corner kick in the 61st minute to score her second goal of the game.
"From this game, we now know what we need to improve on, and we'll be ready for next weekend," said Montoya.
The Pride returns to the Bay Area to host the reigning WPS Champion Sky Blue FC in their Home Opener Saturday, April 17 at 7 PM at Castro Valley High School Athletic Stadium. The first 4,000 fans through the gate will receive a 2010 schedule magnet featuring four-time FIFA World Player of the Year, Marta. Purchase your Opening Day tickets today by calling 888-541-3511 or visiting fcgoldpride.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from April 11, 2010
- Red Stars Held In Check By Sky Blue - Chicago Red Stars
- Kai Goal Provides Winner Over Chicago Red Stars - Sky Blue FC
- FC Gold Pride Falls 2-0 to Saint Louis Athletica in Season Opener - FC Gold Pride
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Gold Pride Stories
- FC Gold Pride Well Represented on FIFA's World Player of the Year and World Coach of the Year Shortl
- FC Gold Pride Lock in 11 for 2011
- WPS Champions Barnhart, Boxx, Buehler Named to USWNT Roster For World Cup Qualifiers
- FC Gold Pride Forward Marta Appointed as United Nations Goodwill Ambassador
- FC Gold Pride Mutually Terminates Contract of Camille Abily