Crunch Haunted by Past Players, Lose 4-3
Syracuse, NY - A three-point effort (2g, 1a) from Mark Mitera was not enough, as former Crunch center and 2008 playoff hero Trevor Frischmon tallied the game-winning goal with 7:19 left in regulation to lift Springfield to a 5-4 win over the Syracuse Crunch tonight in front of 5,792 fans at The Oncenter War Memorial Arena.
The Crunch were affiliated with Springfield's NHL affiliate, the Columbus Blue Jackets, from 2000-10, and nine Falcons players on the ice tonight have also played for the Crunch.
Springfield came out flying and took hold of the game early, jumping out to a 3-0 lead before the game was 16 minutes old.
Dane Byers scored the first of his two power play goals just 1:42 into the game to give Springfield the early 1-0 advantage. Byers tallied again just over five minutes later, when he took a feed from Maksim Mayorov from behind the goal line and stuffed it in on the short side past Timo Pielmeier to make it 2-0.
Mayorov made it 3-0 at the 15:51 mark when he knocked home a loose puck from a scramble in front of the net.
The Crunch got on the board with a power play goal of their own to close the gap to 3-1 when Matt Beleskey ripped a shot from the point that Gustaf Wesslau made the original save on, but could not control as the puck's momentum took it across the goal line with just over one minute left in the first.
Mitera notched the first of his two tallies after taking a pass from Kyle Palmieri, skating into the zone and beating Wesslau with what looked like a harmless wrister that found the back of the cage to cut it to 3-2 at the 15:59 mark of the second.
Just 31 seconds later, John Mitchell set up MacGregor Sharp on a 2-on-1, and Sharp slipped it home to make it a 3-3 game and give him his first goal of the 2010-11 campaign.
Chris D'Alvise put Springfield back up at 4-3 at the 5:13 mark of the third, but the Crunch again answered quickly when Mitera's slapper from the point made its way through traffic just 15 seconds later to deadlock the contest at 4-4.
Frischmon, who ranks fifth on the Crunch's all-time games played list (247) and scored the series-winning goal in overtime of Game 6 of the North Division Finals vs. Manitoba in 2008, re-directed a Steven Goertzen pass past Pielmeier a little over seven minutes later that stood up as the game-winner.
The Crunch's next game is Sunday, November 21 at 5:05 p.m. vs. Rochester at the Blue Cross Arena. All the action can be heard on the home of Syracuse Crunch hockey, The Score 1260.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 20, 2010
- 22 Seconds Pushes Peoria Past Abbotsford 3-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolves stop Aeros' winning streak - Houston Aeros
- Haunted By Penalties, B-Sens Drop To Hartford In OT - Binghamton Senators
- Bachman And Stars Blank Milwaukee 2-0 - Texas Stars
- One Not Enough for Griffins Against Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Blanked By Frazee, Devils In 4-0 Loss - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Haunted by Past Players, Lose 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Jones Outduels Lawson, Sound Tigers Fall 1-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Southern Swing Concludes With 3-1 Setback - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Rebound From Road Woes With 5-2 Victory At Home - Chicago Wolves
- Berry Scores Twice as Admirals Top Phantoms 3-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Peoria Sweeps Heat 3-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolf Pack defeats Senators in OT - Connecticut Whale
- Sharks battle for point in Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Frazee, Devils Shut Out Americans - Albany Devils
- Martin Jones and the Temple of Doom Blank Bridgeport - Manchester Monarchs
- Pirates Edge Worcester in a Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Bulldogs Downed 4-3 by Marlies in Shootout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose Release Pitton from PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Anaheim Assigns Kyle Palmieri to Crunch; Recalls Brandon McMillan and Dan Sexton - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Preview - Milwaukee at Texas - Texas Stars
- Rissmiller Sent to Lake Erie - Chicago Wolves
- Game Night: Amerks Host Devils Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Recall Jones and Vernace from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: Aeros at Wolves - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Gabriel Dumont Nets Hat Trick in 6-2 Win over Amerks
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Michael Bournival to One-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Matthew Peca to Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward David Dziurzynski to PTO