Crew Acquires Goalkeeper Noah Palmer From Real Salt Lake
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Wednesday, May 24, 2006) - The Columbus Crew announced today that it has acquired goalkeeper Noah Palmer from Real Salt Lake in exchange for its first round draft pick in the 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft and the rights to Duke Hashimoto.
Palmer was selected in the third round (25th overall) of the 2005 MLS Supplemental Draft, but missed the 2005 season after shoulder surgery. He has not appeared in any first-team games for RSL this year but has appeared in one reserve game, notching a shutout win.
"Our goalkeeping situation is pretty unique and pretty significant," said Crew Head Coach Sigi Schmid. "We have four goalkeepers on our roster and they are all injured. Obviously we needed to do something. Noah Palmer had great success at Maryland, leading them to three College Cups in four years and we felt he was one of the best options available. He comes from a successful program and knows what it takes to be a winner."
The Williamsburg, Va., native was a four-year starter at Maryland and is the school's all-time shutouts leader with 34. He ended his career with a 0.86 goals-against average, including a school, single-season record goals-against average of 0.59 as a junior. He was a two-time, second-team All-ACC selection and was a member of the U-18 National Team.
All four Crew goalkeepers that are on the roster are out injured. Starter Jon Busch tore his right ACL in Saturday's (May 20) game vs. D.C. United, while last year's starter Jonny Walker is on season-ending injured reserve with a lower back injury. Second-year goalkeeper Bill Gaudette and rookie Andy Gruenebaum both have broken right hands.
Hashimoto was drafted in the fourth round of the 2006 MLS SuperDraft but was not currently under contract. He did not join The Crew until early May after finishing his degree at SMU.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 24, 2006
- FC Dallas Forward Carlos Ruiz Garners Goal of the Week - FC Dallas
- Crew Acquires Goalkeeper Noah Palmer From Real Salt Lake - Columbus Crew SC
- Marshall Leonard placed on season-ending injury list - New England Revolution
- Oakland A's Lew Wolff and John Fisher Acquire Option for MLS Team in Bay Area - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC on Sunday
- Statement from Precourt Sports Ventures
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Stade Saputo to Face the Montreal Impact Today
- Four Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball