Coyotes Meet with IFL as Potential Option for 2011
Central Valley Coyotes officials and management recently attended an introductory meeting in Phoenix, AZ with league officials from the "Indoor Football League" (IFL). The meeting was hosted by IFL Commissioner Tommy Benezio and his staff with the goal of creating a Southwest Division for the 2011 IFL season.
In addition to the Coyotes, potential teams/owners from Las Vegas (NV), Albuquerque (NM), Tuscan (AZ), Prescott Valley (AZ), and El Paso (TX) were in attendance. "The meeting was very informative and our attendance was important since we had minimal knowledge of the business structure of the IFL," stated Coyotes Head Coach/General Manager Fred Biletnikoff, Jr.
The IFL was founded in 2008 and was created from a merger between the Intense Football League and United Indoor Football. The IFL's inaugural season fielded 19 teams, all competing for the first ever United Bowl Championship. Since the 2009 United Bowl, nine expansion franchises have been added to the IFL. Currently the league is operating with 25 teams including four teams (Amarillo, Arkansas, Green Bay and Tri Cities) that participated with the Coyotes in the arenafootball2 league (af2) in 2009.
"Obviously a lot has changed in the arena/indoor football community in the past six months. The af2 ceasing operations after the 2009 season was something totally out of our control," Biletnikoff Jr. added. "What is in our control is finding the right league to potentially bring professional football back to the Valley in 2011 and that is what we are in the process of doing."
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from May 18, 2010
- Coyotes Meet with IFL as Potential Option for 2011 - Central Valley Coyotes
- Blaze Sign OL/DL Edwin Mulitalo - Utah Blaze
- Jomo Wilson Named JLS Ironman of the Week - Jacksonville Sharks
- Wilson, Dutton And Simpson Earn Week 7 Honors - AFL
- Sharks Kick Off Summer With Education Appreciation Night - Jacksonville Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Central Valley Coyotes Stories
- Coyotes Meet with IFL as Potential Option for 2011
- Coyotes Announce Kicker Tryout
- Head Athletic Trainer Needed
- Coyotes to Hold Tryout on January 24th
- Coyotes saddened by Falcons demise