Connecticut 1-3, Staten Island 0-9
STATEN ISLAND, NY- Playing their second doubleheader in two nights, the Connecticut Tigers used outstanding pitching from Carson Lance, Max Green and Drew Carlton to shut down Staten Island 1-0, in Game One of Thursday's twinbill at Richmond County Bank Ballpark.
Connecticut got all the offense they would need in the opener in the top of the sixth, as Andres Sthormes smacked a one-out triple to the wall in right-center, and Cole Peterson brought him home with a clutch single to right field.
Green pitched his second shutout inning in the bottom of the frame, and Carlton tied the Tigers all time record for saves in a season with his tenth in ten tries. Lance (2-3) hurled five shutout frames to pick up the win.
In the nightcap, the Tigers (34-33) used back-to-back doubles by Cam Warner and Dylan Rosa to tie the game at 2 in the sixth. Teddy Hoffman followed with a base hit into right field to give Connecticut a 3-2 lead. But the roof fell in in the bottom of the frame, as Staten Island sent eleven hitters to the plate, scoring seven times to roll to the split.
The teams will play a single game Friday at 7 PM. Coverage starts at 6:50 on 1310 WICH and online at www.cttigers.com
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from September 1, 2017
- Connecticut 1-3, Staten Island 0-9 - Connecticut Tigers
- Spikes Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Scrappers, 4-3 - State College Spikes
- Offense Stymied in Loss - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Bishop Blanks 'Cats Bats in Series Opener - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Five Monsters Pitchers combine to shut out Hudson Valley - Vermont Lake Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.