Colorado Eagles Weekly Update
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
Monday, February 11; Cody Sol Recalled to IceCaps
The Colorado Eagles of the ECHL, proud affiliate of the National Hockey League's Winnipeg Jets and the American Hockey League's St. John's IceCaps, announced today that rookie defenseman Cody Sol has been recalled to the IceCaps. Sol (pronounced: sawl) was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 5th round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft (#125 overall).
A 6-foot-6-inch, 245-pound defenseman, Sol spent the first 21 games of the season on the Eagles' roster, tallying five points (3-2-5) and 93 penalty minutes, before being recalled to the IceCaps, where he registered no points and nine PIMs in seven games before being reassigned to Colorado on Feb. 3.
Friday, February 15; Stewart Stops 52 Shots as Condors Get Season's First Win Against Eagles
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Colorado Eagles out-shot the Bakersfield Condors, 53-24, but fell, 4-1, as the Condors claimed their first win in six chances against the Eagles this season. Brian Stewart 's 52 saves were bolstered by a pair of odd-man rush goals from his forwards to help propel Bakersfield to just its 9th home victory of the season.
Saturday, February 16; Stewart Shuts Out Eagles as Bakersfield Sweeps Weekend Set
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - One night after stopping 52 of 53 shots, Brian Stewart stopped all 46 that the Colorado Eagles threw his way to hand Colorado its second shutout of the season as the Bakersfield Condors defeated the Eagles 1-0 behind Jake Morley 's power-play goal. Colorado's power play, which entered the game as the league's best, went 0-for-7 on the night.
Sunday, February 17; Eagles Power Past Kraemer's Hat Trick in 6-3 Win Over Ontario
ONTARIO, Calif. - The Colorado Eagles doubled up the Pacific Division-leading Ontario Reign, 6-3, on the strength of four power play goals. Kevin Ulanski (2-1-3) and Joey Sides (1-2-3) each had a three-point game to help power Colorado's offense past Kyle Kraemer 's hat trick.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Friday, February 22, Saturday, February 23 & Sunday, February 24; Eagles Take-On Grizzlies Three Times in Three Days
After not playing each other since Nov. 10, the Eagles will renew acquiaintannces with their closest rivals, the Utah Grizzlies, with three games in fewer 72 hours thanks to a rare Sunday matinee game at the Budweiser Events Center. The Eagles have gone 3-0-1 so far this season against Utah, with the teams scheduled to play another nine times (including this weekend) over the season's final 20 games. The Eagles are 3-0-0 against the Grizzlies at home this season, out-scoring them 22-6!
REIGN MAN - With a pair of goals -- including the game-winner -- and an assist on Sunday, Kevin Ulanski continued his personal success against the Reign. Ulanski is the Eagles' all-time leader in points against Ontario, registering 22 (10-12-22) in 12 games. The player with the second-most points all-time against the Reign is Aaron Schneekloth with 16 (also in 12 games).
IT'S BEAR SEASON - The Eagles and Utah Grizzlies haven't faced-off since Nov. 10, but the two teams will be seeing plenty of each other as the end of the regular season approaches, starting with this weekend when they play three games in less than three days. Colorado has gone 3-0-1 so far in four games against its closest rival who, including this weekend, they'll play another nine times; with 20 games left before the playoffs, that's nearly 50% of the time.
SUNDAY FUNDAY - Colorado just played its first Sunday game of the season, which ironically was also the first of three they'll play in a span of four weeks -- all with afternoon start times. The only one of those three taking place at the Budweiser Events Center is scheduled for this Sunday at 2:05 p.m. (MST). All-time, the Eagles are 15-7-2 on Sundays (a .667 winning percentage).
POWER SURGE - After going 0-for-10 in a pair of games against the Condors on Friday & Saturday, Colorado's top-ranked power play snapped out of its funk with a four-goal explosion (three in the first frame alone) against the Reign on Sunday. It marked the second time the past five games that the power play has scored four times (also occurring Feb. 8 vs. Fort Wayne).
KILLING IT - Colorado's penalty killing has improved over the past several weeks even though it remains low in the overall league standings. Over the past 10 games, the Eagles have been perfect on the penalty kill four times, and didn't allow more than a single power-play goal in the other six contest, killing 44 of 50 opponent power plays in that time (88%).
Firefighter Appreciation Night - Saturday night's game will be our 2nd annual "Firefighter Appreciation Night," but you can help local firefighters and their families by purchasing select tickets to any of this weekend's games. Use the promo code "FIRE" via www.ComcastTix.com and $5 of your ticket price will be donated to the Terry Farrell Firefighters Fund.
Fans' Vision All-Decade Team - This is the final week to vote for the third and final forward spot on the Fans' Vision All-Decade Team, presented by the Eye Laser Center of Northern Colorado. Those who vote, will not only help decide this historic team, but they could win an awesome prize, highlighted by FREE LASIK!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 19, 2013
- Roy's 2nd Hat-Trick in Four Games Leads 'Blades to 5-4 Win over Gwinnett - Florida Everblades
- Gladiators Late Rally Falls Short, 5-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reign Host Humane Society Jersey Night & Dwight King Bobblehead Giveaway - Ontario Reign
- IceMen Kevin Baker Named ECHL Player of the Week - Evansville IceMen
- Student ID Night Thursday and Players Clean up City Street - Bakersfield Condors
- Ducks Assign Goaltender Deslauriers to Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- Thunder Weekly - Stockton Thunder
- Coyle Re-Assigned to AHL Affiliate - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - February 19 - ECHL
- William Wrenn Loaned to Texas Stars - Alaska Aces
- Solar Bears Receive Hetenyi from Milwaukee - Orlando Solar Bears
- Bakersfield's Stewart Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Stewart's 98-Save Weekend Earns ECHL Goaltender of the Week Honors - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Update - Colorado Eagles
- Cyclones and Admirals Swap Players - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ezekiel Called up to IceCaps - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Half-Price Beer/$1 Hot Dogs Thurs. and Cap Giveaway on Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Hosting Second Annual "Firefighter Appreciation Night" This Saturday, February 23 - Colorado Eagles
- Evansville's Baker Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- ECHL Today - February 19 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.