Chicago Red Stars Loan Samantha Johnson to Sydney FC
CHICAGO (September 5, 2014) - The Chicago Red Stars announced today that defender Samantha Johnson has been loaned to Sydney FC of the Australian W-League. She will be spending the 2014-15 NWSL offseason in Australia.
Johnson, 23, appeared in 12 games for the Red Stars this season, earning eleven starts on the year. She suffered a facial injury during the Red Stars match against Seattle Reign FC on June 7, and was unable to return to play during the Red Stars regular season. In her 956 minutes played, the California-native earned one assist.
Johnson, who had a breakout season after being identified during the Red Stars Open Tryouts, was signed by the Red Stars as a free agent at the start of the 2014 season.
Johnson will return to Chicago before the start of the 2015 NWSL season.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 5, 2014
- Christen Press Awarded Red Stars Golden Boot - Chicago Red Stars
- Chicago Red Stars Loan Samantha Johnson to Sydney FC - Chicago Red Stars
- Breakers Loan Mollie Pathman to Apollon - Boston Breakers
- Thorns FC Announce 2014 Club Awards - Portland Thorns FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Early Goals Carry Chicago to Victory over Houston
- Sam Kerr Named NWSL Player of the Week
- Sam Kerr Selected to Australia's World Cup Squad
- Chicago Scores 3 in Mother's Day Win against North Carolina
- Chicago Notches First Loss in Close, Physical Match against Utah