Briana Mastel Is Back to Take Care of Unfinished Business' with the Boston Pride
BOSTON - Former Harvard captain Briana Mastel was an instrumental part of the Boston Pride's defense as the team won 24 of 25 games in her rookie season in 2019-20, and now she has signed to return to the team for the upcoming NWHL season.
"I am so psyched to be welcomed back for Season 6 and to continue playing for the Boston Pride," said Mastel. "Our staff and fans are second to none, and I'm excited to see what's in store for us, as we have some unfinished business to take care of! The addition of a new NWHL team in Toronto and so many awesome players selected in the draft will only make the hunt for the Isobel Cup that much more exciting. I can't wait!"
A mobile, 5-5 defender, Mastel scored one goal, added six assists, and was plus-10 in 24 regular-season games in her rookie year in the NWHL. She has also been a regular contributor to the Pride's community and youth hockey efforts, and recently appeared in the PSA for "NWHL Votes," the league's initiative to promote participation in the upcoming elections.
In addition to serving as captain at Harvard, Mastel was an All-Ivy League selection as a senior. In 128 games over four seasons for the Crimson, she was 7-33-40 and a plus-27 rating. Mastel was also an ECAC Hockey All-Rookie Team selection.
Before Harvard, the Wallingford, Connecticut native was a two-time captain at Choate Rosemary Hall and a silver medalist with the U.S. National Women's U18 Team in 2012. She also helped lead Assabet Valley to three national championships.
"Briana is the perfect final piece to our puzzle," said Boston Pride President Hayley Moore. "Her high hockey IQ and skill are equally matched by her work ethic and locker room presence, and that's exactly what our team needs to bring home the ultimate prize. We couldn't be happier to welcome Bri back on the ice with the Pride this season and continue our quest for the Isobel Cup."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from October 1, 2020
- Canlan Ice Sports - York to be Home of the Toronto Six - Toronto Six
- Briana Mastel Is Back to Take Care of Unfinished Business' with the Boston Pride - Boston Pride
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Pride Stories
- Briana Mastel Is Back to Take Care of Unfinished Business' with the Boston Pride
- Boston Pride's NWHL Title Banners Join City's Other Champions in Logan Airport Display
- Boston Inks Clarkson D Taylor Turnquist, as Pride Goes 6-For-6 in Signing 2020 NWHL Draft Picks
- Northeastern Captain Paige Capistran Joins the Defense of the Boston Pride
- Goaltender Victoria Hanson Re-Signed by the Boston Pride