Boston Cannons Lose Home Opener to Hamilton Nationals, 15-8
Allston, MA - The Boston Cannons drop to 0-2 on the season with a 15-8 loss to the Hamilton Nationals (1-0) tonight at Harvard Stadium in front of 8,102 fans. Paul Rabil scored two goals - including a two-pointer - and added two assists for five points and Ari Sussman completed his second hat trick in as many games and added an assist, but it was not enough as the Cannons were held scoreless in the fourth quarter.
Rabil struck first with a goal 30 seconds into the game, but it was Boston's only score for almost 20 minutes as Hamilton went on a 8-0 run into the second quarter, including two goals each from Kevin Ross, Martin Cahill and eventual player of the game Kevin Crowley (4 goals, 3 assists). Matt Poskay and Kevin Buchanan scored their first goals of the 2013 season in the second quarter, with assists from Rabil and Sussman, respectively, to make it 10-3 at the break.
Sussman scored all three of his goals in the third quarter and, after a Hamilton goal was called back for an illegal stick penalty on Roy Lang, Rabil's two-point goal brought the score to 13-8. But it was the last score of the night for the Cannons as the Nationals controlled the fourth quarter to seal the victory.
Mike Gabel replaced Cannons starting goalie Jordan Burke shortly into the third quarter. Burke made nine saves and allowed ten goals in the first half, while Gabel made eight saves and allowed five goals in the second. Ryan Boyle's assist on Rabil's two-point goal put him one away from tying the MLL all-time points record of 399, held by Casey Powell.
The Cannons host the Denver Outlaws (2-0) next Saturday, May 11 at Harvard Stadium at 7pm. More information and tickets are available at BostonCannons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from May 4, 2013
- Ohio Machine Falls in Hard Home Opener Battle - Ohio Machine
- Boston Cannons Lose Home Opener to Hamilton Nationals, 15-8 - Boston Cannons
- Rubeor Scores Seven Goals to Lead Chesapeake Past New York - Chesapeake Bayhawks
- Nationals Bounce Boston in Opener - Hamilton Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Cannons Stories
- 2018 Boston Cannons Announce High School Rivalry Series Presented by Plymouth Rock Assurance
- Boston Cannons Announce New Field-Level Craft Beer Garden for 2018 Season
- Boston Cannons Announce 3rd Annual Coaches Symposium
- BOSTON CANNONS HIRE FORMER BAYHAWKS MVP AS NEW OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
- Boston Cannons Announce "Cannons in Your Community"