Boston and Toronto Complete Draft Day Deal
April 28, 2020 - National Women's Hockey League (NWHL) News Release
BROOKLYN - The Boston Pride and the NWHL's new expansion team in Toronto have finalized a trade just hours before the start of the 2020 NWHL Draft. The details:
- Boston's first round pick in the 2020 Draft
- Boston's first round pick in the 2021 Draft
- Boston's second round pick in the 2021 Draft
- Toronto's first round pick in the 2020 Draft (first overall)
- Toronto's fifth round pick in the 2020 Draft
The Boston Pride are now on the clock with the first overall pick. The 2020 NWHL Draft will be unveiled live on Twitter tonight and on Wednesday, April 29 beginning each night at 7 p.m. ET. The first two rounds of the draft will be presented tonight, and the final three rounds will be announced on Wednesday.
"The Pride were excited to work out a trade with Toronto that benefits everyone," said Boston general manager Karilyn Pilch. "We cannot wait to share with our fans the exciting news when we make our first overall pick. Over the next two nights we will select six outstanding players that we believe will be important members of the Pride for years to come."
"I am ecstatic about this trade, and I'm glad we were able to work out a deal where both sides got what they needed," said Toronto team president Digit Murphy, whose expansion club was announced last Wednesday. "We have a vision to strategically build an Isobel Cup contender over this offseason and beyond. We will select four strong players in this draft and determine with them in the coming months if they're ready to join us. We now have two picks in the first and second rounds in the next draft - great assets as we build our team in the future."
2020 Draft - Updated Order of Selection:
Round 1: Boston, Connecticut, Buffalo, Metropolitan, Minnesota, Toronto
Round 2: Connecticut, Toronto, Buffalo, Metropolitan, Minnesota, Boston
Round 3: Connecticut, Buffalo, Toronto, Metropolitan, Minnesota, Boston
Round 4: Connecticut, Buffalo, Metropolitan, Toronto, Minnesota, Boston
Round 5: Connecticut, Buffalo, Connecticut, Minnesota, Boston, Boston
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from April 28, 2020
- BU's Sammy Davis, Clarkson's Kayla Friesen Go 1-2 in NWHL Draft - NWHL
- Boston and Toronto Complete Draft Day Deal - NWHL
- NWHL Draft Picks to be Announced by Athletes, Top Executives, and Broadcasters Across Sports - NWHL
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.