Bobcat Defenseman Will Join Gophers
Bismarck, ND - Bobcats defenseman Carl Fish has officially committed to play college hockey at the University of Minnesota.
"It's everything a Minnesota kid dreams of," Fish said. "Putting on the maroon and gold, and representing the city of St. Paul and Minneapolis together."
"What Carl has done as a defenseman and as a player is everything you'd hope for as a coach," said Bobcats head coach Layne Sedevie. "He's a great kid, and he's got a bright future at Minnesota and beyond."
Fish, 20, leads all Bobcat defensemen in scoring with 20 points in 24 games. His 0.83 points per game average is second among all NAHL defensemen.
"In Bismarck, the coaches have shown me how a defenseman should play," Fish said. "I'm grateful for the entire time I've been here."
"He's just different," Sedevie said. "He's got good vision for a big man, and he can get up and down the ice really well for his size."
Fish has been a huge boost to the Bobcats this season, exploding for a career-high 20 points so far. The St. Paul, Minnesota native had nine points in 55 games last season.
"It took a lot of work with their coaching staff and rebounding from the injury I had," Fish said. "I just felt it was the right fit for me."
Fish and the Bobcats are home to play the Minot Minotauros this Friday night. Tickets are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2020
- Weekend Preview vs. Kenai - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bruins Acquire Forward Clifton from Corpus Christi - Austin Bruins
- Bobcat Defenseman Will Join Gophers - Bismarck Bobcats
- Weekend Preview: Tomahawks Visit Titans for Big Series at MSC - New Jersey Titans
- Ice Wolves Featured as HockeyTV's 'Free Game of the Week' - New Mexico Ice Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.