Blaze Sign Vaka Manupuna
SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah Blaze announce the signing of defensive lineman VAKA MANUPUNA (6-1, 305, Colorado) to a one-year contract today. Terms of the contract were not disclosed due to team policy.
"This signing, along with many others, illustrates our commitment to improving and strengthening our defense," said Blaze head coach and general manager DANNY WHITE. "Vaka is a big guy with some great experience. We are excited to have him as a part of the 2008 squad."
Manupuna joined the NFL's Washington Redskins' roster in August 2007 after spending time on the team's practice squad in 2006. He was on the roster of the New York Jets during the 2006 regular season, but did not see any game action. Manupuna originally signed with the Redskins as an undrafted rookie free agent in May 2006.
In college at Colorado, Manupuna started all 13 games as a senior, including the Champs Sports Bowl. He enjoyed his best season as a senior where he earned honorable mention All-Big 12 Conference honors from both the Associated Press and the league coaches. The coaches also selected him as the recipient of CU's Regiment Award, given to the player with the greatest contribution with the least recognition, and he also earned his way on to CU's prestigious Victory Club. The former Buffalo had 52.0 total tackles on his senior season (28.0 solo), including 4.0 for losses, five third down stops, seven quarterback hurries, two fumble recoveries and two pass breakups. He recorded 40.0 tackles over the last seven games, including 9.0 (5.0 solo) at Texas during the regular season to match his career high.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from November 29, 2007
- Avengers sign former Occidental star quarterback Andy Collins - Los Angeles Avengers
- November Team-By-Team Update - AFL I
- Blaze Sign Vaka Manupuna - Utah Blaze
- Gladiators to invade Cleveland sports - Cleveland Gladiators
- SaberCats launch new-look website - San Jose SaberCats
- San Jose Earthquakes Name Ian Russell Assistant Coach - San Jose SaberCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Blaze Stories
- AFL, Utah Blaze suspend operations for 2009 season
- Utah Blaze DL Chris Janek Fares Well at Power-Lifting Meet
- Utah Blaze DL Chris Janek to participate in powerlifting competition
- Matt Griff Takes A Liking To Extreme Sports
- Utah Blaze Offensive Coordinator Tony Kimbrough No Stranger To Change