Billie Jean King to be Honored by New York Empire
NEW YORK - The New York Empire presented by Citi is set to honor tennis icon, Billie Jean King, on Tuesday, July 30 as part of 'Empower Her' night at Cary Leeds Center for Tennis & Learning. Ten women who've spent their entire lives inspiring today's youth will be a part of the ceremony.
This is the second year in a row the Empire will honor King and others in partnership with the Women's Sports Foundation (WSF). In addition to the ceremony that will take place between the third and fourth sets, kids will be on-site for a special tennis clinic prior to the first serve at 6:30 tomorrow evening.
Participants in the clinic will receive a complimentary racquet, interact with and take a photo with the New York Empire roster, including Mardy Fish, and participate in a question-and-answer session with Empower Her night honorees, Erin Hamlin and Phaidra Knight.
Hamlin, a WSF Athlete Ambassador and a four-time Olympian, served as Team USA's flag bearer at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. She is the first female American luge athlete to medal at any Winter Olympics as well as being the first American of either gender to medal in luge singles competition.
Knight sits on the WSF Board of Trustees and is a WSF Athlete Advisory Panel member. She is a three-time Rugby World Cup participant, an All-World Team honoree, USA Rugby's Player of the Decade and a World Rugby Hall of Fame inductee.
Empower Her Night Honorees
Executive Director, Women's Sports Foundation
Darcel D. Clark
District Attorney, Bronx County
Council Member, 16th District of New York City
Four-time Olympian; Team USA's Flag Bearer in Pyeongchang 2018
Chief Strategy & Impact Officer, Women's Sports Foundation
Executive Director, Cary Leeds Center
Billie Jean King
Tennis Hall of Famer and Co-Founder of World TeamTennis
World Rugby Hall of Famer, USA Rugby's Player of the Decade
Parks Commissioner, New York City
Emmy Award Winning Television Anchor, NY1
The Empire hosts the Springfield Lasers tonight at Cary Leeds Center before closing out its home schedule on Tuesday, July 30 against the Philadelphia Freedoms. Fish, the former American No. 1, will be a part of both matches for the Empire.
For more information on the New York Empire, visit www.NYEmpireTennis.com or call the team office at (844) 5-EMPIRE (844-536-7473). For more information on World TeamTennis, visit www.WTT.com.
• Discuss this story on the World TeamTennis message board...
World TeamTennis Stories from July 29, 2019
- New York Empire Moves Closer to World TeamTennis Playoff Berth with 22-19 Win over Springfield Lasers - New York Empire
- Pop Artist Blake Jamieson Creates Exclusive Art Celebrating the 2019 WTT Season - WTT
- Orange County Breakers Keep WTT Playoffs Hope Alive, Sweep Washington Kastles - Orange County Breakers
- Billie Jean King to be Honored by New York Empire - New York Empire
- Kastles Down Defending WTT Champ Lasers, 23-20 - Washington Kastles
- San Diego Aviators Hang on to 3rd Spot in Playoff Hunt, Defeat Vegas Rollers - San Diego Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Empire Stories
- New York Empire Are 2020 World Teamtennis Champions, Beat Chicago Smash on Last Point
- New York Wins a Match for the Ages, Defeats Chicago 21-20 in Supertiebreaker
- Chicago Smash and New York Empire Set to Clash in World Teamtennis Final on CBS at Noon Et/9 Am Pt
- Jock Sock Gives New York Emotional Win against Philadelphia, Empire Advance to Championship Match
- New York Empire Upset Philadelphia Freedoms to Make Second Straight World Teamtennis Final