Bill Meakes Named MLR Back of the Year
Bill Meakes came to Major League Rugby and LA just a few months following his time in the English Premiership with London Irish. He quickly set about establishing himself as one of the vital cogs in Darren Coleman's machine, and across the season proved himself to be a big factor in LA's Championship win.
Making 12 appearances, Meakes proved himself as an intensely physical player. It was in defense that the Australian's worth was proven, making 76 tackles on the way to the MLR Shield and forcing turnovers eight times at the breakdown.
This skillset became essential for LA when they found themselves in need of an openside flanker due to injuries. Meakes not only stepped up to fill the role in LA's match against San Diego, but he also even earned himself the Player of the Week award.
Just prior to the MLR Conference Finals, Meakes described the 2021 season as a 'whirlwind'. Now, just several weeks on, the team have celebrated a title victory in their inaugural season, Meakes amongst the most influential of players on that journey to success.
Carrying for 870 meters in attack and scoring two tries, the 30-year-old spent the season taking on everything asked of him, and raising the bar for success in MLR.
Earlier this week Major League Rugby released the All-MLR team selections and the overall Player of the Year. Stay tuned for additional end of season awards to be released by MLR across the week.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Rugby message board...
Major League Rugby Stories from August 11, 2021
- Bill Meakes Named MLR Back of the Year - LA Giltinis
- Johan Momsen Named MLR Forward of the Year - Rugby ATL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Giltinis Stories
- Why the LA Giltinis Want to be 'Better' in 2022
- Corey Thomas on Taking the LA Environment to Canada
- MLR Champion Adam Ashley-Cooper Swoops into Coaching Role with LA
- Bill Meakes Named MLR Back of the Year
- LA Giltinis Secure MLR Shield with 31-17 Win over Rugby ATL to Conclude Their Inaugural Season