Best Hitting Performance, No. 4: Wood, Indians Rally on Mother's Day
INDIANAPOLIS - Indy's largest comeback win from the 2018 season was fueled by a 19-hit barrage on May 13 against Columbus at Victory Field. The Tribe trailed 7-2 entering the bottom of the fourth but scored 10 runs over their final five trips to the plate to roll to a 12-7 triumph. Eric Wood delivered the go-ahead knock with a three-run blast to cap a five-run sixth inning.
Wood's day started much like the Indians did out of the gate. He bounced into a fielder's choice his first time up and struck out swinging to end the third.
The Tribe stayed the course, however, scoring one run in the fourth and another in the fifth to make it 7-4. Wood doubled with two outs in the fifth and scored on an error by Clippers first baseman Nellie Rodriguez.
Indy overcame the deficit for good with a big sixth inning. Austin Meadows and Jordan Luplow collected run-scoring singles ahead of Wood's third long ball of the year, a shot well beyond the left-field grass berm.
The dinger came on a 3-2 changeup from southpaw Jack Leathersich and put Indy on top, 9-7.
Wood's numbers: 2-for-4, 1 HR, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from November 2, 2018
- Learn Through Fun on Mud Hens School Education Days - Toledo Mud Hens
- Best Hitting Performance, No. 4: Wood, Indians Rally on Mother's Day - Indianapolis Indians
- Save on Shipping Holiday Gifts at the Swamp Shop - Toledo Mud Hens
- Meet Paw Patrol's Chase During IronPigs' 2019 Nickelodeon Day - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.