Benesch scores game winning goal in overtime
SAINT PAUL, Minn. -The National Lacrosse League's (NLL) Minnesota Swarm (3-1) defeated the Washington Steath (2-3) 11-10 on Saturday night in front of 8,911 fans on Treasure Island Field at Xcel Energy Center.
Minnesota's overtime win was its first since defeating Philadelphia at home 15-14 in overtime on April 12, 2008. It also ended a five-game overtime losing streak.
F Ryan Benesch led Minnesota with five points (3g, 2a) and recorded the game winning goal 2:13 into overtime. He also scored the lone goal of the third quarter for the Swarm, giving Minnesota a 7-6 lead.
F Aaron Wilson (2g, 2a) scored two goals in the fourth quarter to give Minnesota a 10-8 lead. Washington went on to tie the game up at 10-10, sending the game into overtime.
G Nick Patterson recorded 40 saves in the win.
In the second quarter, T Rich Morgan (1g, 1a) recorded his sole goal of the game and F Kevin Ross (1g, 1a) scored his first goal of the season. F Callum Crawford (2g, 1a) tied up the game 4-4 after tallying two goals for Minnesota. At halftime, the Swarm led the Stealth 6-4.
F Zack Greer (2a, 0a) started off the scoring for the Swarm at the 8:37 mark, and was countered by a goal from Stealth T Paul Rabil 24 seconds later. Washington held a 2-1 lead after the first quarter.
F Paul Rabil led Washington with four points (3g, 1a) and G Tyler Richards made 36 saves on 47 shots in the loss.
Minnesota picked up its second victory at home during the 2011 season and its second win over Washington. The Swarm defeated the Stealth 16-8 in Washington on Jan. 14. Minnesota now leads the Western Division with a 3-1 record.
Make sure to visit mnswarm.com next weekend as the Swarm hit the road to take on the Buffalo Bandits on Friday, Feb.14 at 6:30 p.m. CST. Fans not near a computer during the game can text "SWARM TURF" to 91944 to receive halftime and final score updates.
Lower level single game tickets can be purchased for as low as $24 for 2011 home games. Tickets are available online at mnswarm.com or by calling 888-MN-SWARM.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 29, 2011
- Benesch scores game winning goal in overtime - Minnesota Swarm
- Mammoth's Second-half Rally Falls Just Short - Colorado Mammoth
- Powell's Nine-point Night Powers Blazers Past Knighthawks For 16-7 Win - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rock defeat Bandits 8-5 - Toronto Rock
- Knighthawks Shoot for First Home Win Tonight - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton