Barno Headlines List of Assigned Players for Soul
PHILADELPHIA (January 3, 2013) - The American Conference Champion Philadelphia Soul and the Arena Football League announce the assignment six players to the squad for the 2013 season. Defensive lineman, Dustin Barno (6'3, 275, East Stroudsburg) headlines the list and enters his third year with the Soul.
Barno will be joined by defensive lineman/linebacker Morkeith Brown (6'5, 258, Temple), quarterback Steven Gachette (6'1, 195, Southwest Baptist), defensive back Darius Pettigrew (6'1, 185, West Georgia), wide receiver Armand Robinson (6'0, 200, Miami, OH) and defensive back James Romain (5'11, 170, Delaware State).
"We are pleased with this group of players coming to Philadelphia," said Soul head coach Clint Dolezel. "The road to the ArenaBowl begins with a competitive training camp and these signings demonstrate that we are moving in that direction."
Barno, who became his AFL career in 2004, played four-plus seasons with the Colorado Crush before finishing the 2008 season with the Arizona Rattlers. In 2005, he was a member of Colorado's ArenaBowl championship team. The standout defensive lineman tallied 128.5 total tackles, 31.0 sacks, 14 pass breakups, eight forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and five blocked kicks over his AFL career.
During his four years at East Stroudsburg State (1999-2002), the Easton, Pa. native tallied 143 tackles, 17.5 sacks and 36 tackles-for-a-loss. He was named the NSCA 2003 Strength-and-Conditioning Athlete of the Year and also named to the All-Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference First-Team Defense (in both 2001 and 2002).
Barno played in the 2003 Cactus Bowl, setting a bowl record with two sacks. As a senior, he posted 45 tackles (26 solo), 11 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a pass breakup. He finished junior season tied for No. 4 in the conference with 7.0 sacks and finished with 39 tackles, 10 for a loss. As a sophomore, he totaled 46 tackles, 5.0 sacks and 12 tackles for loss and appeared in nine games as a freshman in 1999.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from January 3, 2013
- Sharks to Play Three Games on National Television in 2013 - Jacksonville Sharks
- San Antonio Talons Add Andre Jones to Secondary - San Antonio Talons
- Barno Headlines List of Assigned Players for Soul - Philadelphia Soul
- AFL Announces 2013 CBS Sports Network Schedule - AFL
- Blaze Players to Teach Football Skills to Local Youth - Utah Blaze
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Soul Stories
- Philadelphia Soul Announce 2019 Training Camp Schedule
- Arena Football League Announces 2019 Game Times
- Arena Football League Announces 2019 Schedule, Rule Changes
- Soul Announce Return of Dolezel as Head Coach
- Soul Partner with NFL Alumni on Junior Football Academy