Bandits Blanked by Whitecaps Sunday
COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. - The Quad Cities River Bandits were shut out, 7-0, by the West Michigan Whitecaps Sunday afternoon at Comstock Park. Quad Cities was held to just four hits in the loss while the Whitecaps scored in four of their last five offensive innings to even the series.
The Bandits (17-7, 54-38) and Whitecaps (17-6, 62-28) got started with three perfect innings from each starting pitcher. Carlos Sanabria finally conceded in the fourth after a one-out double and wild pitch drew the infield in, a bloop single by Anthony Pereira gave the Whitecaps the lead. They'd add a pair in the fifth with a sacrifice fly and solo home run by Drew Longley. Sanabria (L, 4-3) went 6.1 innings and allowed four runs on six hits with four strikeouts and a walk.
That was plenty of offense for Tom de Blok (W, 2-0) who pitched a career-high seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits while striking out eight. Two relievers combined to complete the shutout, the 19th shutout win of the year for the Whitecaps and tenth shutout loss by Quad Cities this season.
The teams meet one more time in 2017 with the rubber match of this three-game series Monday night at 7:00 ET, 6:00 CT, from Fifth Third Ballpark. Yohan Ramirez (2-1, 2.65) gets the start for Quad Cities against Anthony Castro (6-2, 2.35) for the Whitecaps. You can join Jake Levy for the broadcast on 1170 AM K-BOB and TuneIn radio.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 17, 2017
- Peoria defeats Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Win 2-1 in 12 - Peoria Chiefs
- Cubs Edge Kernels in 2-1 Pitchers' Duel - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bullpen Dominates, Knight Walks Off - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at Lansing Lugnuts - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall to Cougars 2-1 in Road Trip Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Solid Pitching, Lemieux Fronts Cougars Winning End to Home Stand - Kane County Cougars
- Big Inning Puts Bees over Captains - Burlington Bees
- Cedar Rapids Bounces Back with Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Ravel, Nine-Run 8th Key Nuts Rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- No End for Streak for Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Edge Dragons 2-1 on Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Blanked by Whitecaps Sunday - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Quad Cities River Bandits Shuffle Pitchers
- Tovalin's RBI Triple Guides River Bandits to 3-1 Win
- Quad Cities River Bandits Update Roster
- Bandits and Bees Split Doubleheader for Second Straight Day
- Bandits and Bees Split Thrilling Doubleheader on Saturday