Baby Cakes Rattle I-Cubs
METAIRIE, LA - The New Orleans Baby Cakes (6-9) jumped on Iowa early and kept the lead throughout to defeat the I-Cubs (7-8) 7-3, Thursday at Shrine on Airline. Clayton Mortensen (2-0) took the win for the Baby Cakes, while Williams Perez (0-2) was given the loss.
Matt Juengel, Destin Hood and Moises Sierra each collected RBI as the Baby Cake built a 6-0 lead over the first four innings to chase Perez from the game. The I-Cubs' righty left with five earned runs allowed on seven hits and two walks while adding four strikeouts.
Iowa staged a comeback in the middle innings, sparked by a leadoff single by Mark Zagunis in the fifth. Todd Glaesmann followed with a double to put runners on the corners and Bijan Rademacher collected Iowa's first RBI on the night with a groundout.
RBI doubles from Victor Caratini and Taylor Davis led to two more runs for Iowa in the sixth, cutting New Orleans' lead to three, but the Baby Cakes fought back with an insurance run in the seventh. With a strong effort from the bullpen, New Orleans held off Iowa to take the victory.
Caratini went 2-for-4 to record his fourth straight two-hit game and extend his hitting streak to six games. Glaesmann also went 2-for-4 for his first multi-hit game in an I-Cubs uniform.
Iowa goes for the series split tomorrow at 7 p.m. in New Orleans. Follow along and listen at www.iowacubs.com or on AM 940.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Game Notes: April 21 vs. Reno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Transactions - Nashville Sounds
- 90s Kids Bring the Hits in Grizzles 10-3 Win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Pitchers Shut Down Sacramento - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes End Losing Streak, Down Aces 8-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Blaze Past Chihuahuas for 6-5 Win in Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
- Lamet Sets Team Record in Thursday's Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Omaha Escapes Round Rock 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- Marte Extends Hit Streak, Aces Fall in Game Three to Isotopes - Reno Aces
- Baby Cakes Strike Early, Hold off I-Cubs - PCL
- Dickson Dinger Helps Send Dodgers to 4-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Baby Cakes Rattle I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Edged 4-3 by Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.