Atlanta Blaze Victorious over Charlotte Hounds
Kennesaw, GA- The Atlanta Blaze (4-6) became the first Major League Lacrosse (MLL) team to win in South Carolina when they beat the Charlotte Hounds (6-5) tonight at the neutral site of MUSC Health Stadium, 16-10, behind stellar play by Coca Cola Player of the Game Kevin Rice. Rice, earning his second Player of the Game honors of 2018, scored a team-high four goals. Rookies Christian Cuccinello and Connor Kelly both put up hat tricks, the first for Cuccinello - who added an assist - and the second hat trick of Kelly's career.
Faceoff specialist Joe Nardella took control from the beginning, winning 22 out of 29 faceoffs for a .758 win percentage. Goalie Adam Ghitelman also had an excellent showing, saving 10 out of 19 shots (including one two-point goal). He was backed up by defenders Graeme Hossack, Callum Robinson, Liam Byrnes, and Eddy Glazener.
Halfway through the first quarter Kevin Rice scored off of an assist from Sergio Salcido, and shortly after, Kelly scored a shockingly early go-ahead-goal, making it 3-2. Throughout the game the Blaze offense was characterized by patience throughout the 60-second shot clock with calculated goals towards the end of possession.
The Blaze are in action again July 21st at 7 p.m. against the defending champions the Ohio Machine.
The Atlanta Blaze will return home on June 26th. All Atlanta Blaze home games are played at Fifth Third Bank Stadium on the campus of Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA. Single-game tickets are on sale now at AtlantaBlaze.com/Tickets
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from June 30, 2018
- Ohio Machine Fall to Lizards 15-14 - Ohio Machine
- Atlanta Blaze Victorious over Charlotte Hounds - Atlanta Blaze
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Blaze Stories
- Kevin Rice and Christian Cuccinello Among Finalists for 2018 MLL Awards
- Kevin Rice and Christian Cuccinello Among the Finalists for 2018 MLL Awards
- Ratliff Nominated for MLL's New David Huntley Man of the Year Award
- Atlanta Blaze Fall to Denver Outlaws in Season Finale
- Atlanta Blaze Beat Florida Launch with Playoffs in Sight