Athletica clinch spot in WPS Super Semifinal
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (August 2, 2009) - Saint Louis Athletica have clinched a spot in the WPS Super Semifinal with one week remaining in the regular season. Saint Louis Athletica's 1-0 victory over the Boston Breakers on Saturday evening, combined with a 3-2 loss by the Washington Freedom earlier in the day to FC Gold Pride, assured the Athletica of a second-place finish in the WPS Regular Season and earned them the right to host the WPS Super Semifinal under the WPS Playoff format.
The WPS Super Semifinal will be played Wednesday, August 19 at 7pm ET/6 CT at The Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park in Fenton, MO, with the Athletica hosting the winners of the WPS First Round scheduled for August 15 between the third and fourth-placed finishers in the WPS Regular Season. The WPS Super Semifinal will be broadcast live on Fox Soccer Channel (FSC).
Tickets for the WPS Super Semifinal are now on sale now at www.saintlouisathletica.com and by calling 1-888-STL-GOAL starting on Monday morning, August 3.
The rest of the playoff picture is down to Week 20, the final week of the WPS Regular Season with the Boston Breakers, Sky Blue FC and Washington Freedom still in contention for the final two berths.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from August 2, 2009
- Lindsay Tarpley named WPS Player of the Week - Chicago Red Stars
- Red Stars Close Out Home Schedule With 3-1 Win Over Sol - Chicago Red Stars
- Sol Fall to Red Stars - Los Angeles Sol
- Athletica clinch spot in WPS Super Semifinal - St. Louis Athletica
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Louis Athletica Stories
- AC St. Louis End Season With 2-1 Loss to Rochester
- AC St. Louis Fall 4-2 in Texas
- AC St. Louis Lose 3-0 to Minnesota
- AC St. Louis Beat Miami 3-1
- AC St. Louis Draw Tampa 2-2