AFL Announces Founder's Award, Official of the Year
August 15, 2013 - Arena Football League (AFL) News Release
CHICAGO - The Arena Football League Office announced today that Wesley "Buddy" Ward has been honored with the AFL Founder's Award, while R.G. Detillier has been awarded the FOX40 Official of the Year.
Ward, an Assistant Coordinator of Officials, has dedicated more than 20 years to the Arena Football League in various capacities. He served as an official from 1991-1999 and as an Assistant Coordinator of Officials since. He also served as a Big East Conference official and currently serves as a technical advisor, observer and replay official for the American Athletic Conference.
"We call Buddy the Keeper of the Rulebook,'" Supervisor of Officials Carl Paganelli said. "He knows the rulebook better than anyone and we trust him with any thoughts or changes that come up because he is schooled so well on this game."
Detillier has spent 22 years as an AFL official. He has served as both a referee and line judge throughout his tenure with the League. He is also a Conference USA official and has officiated more than 10 collegiate bowl games including the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl and Gator Bowl.
"He has seen probably everything that has happened in 22 years. He is a very experienced official and he knows how to handle any situation that comes up," said Paganelli. "He also helps train first-year officials and teaches them the ropes when it comes to Arena Football."
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from August 15, 2013
- SaberCats DB Clevan Thomas Named Riddell Defensive Player of the Year - San Jose SaberCats
- Mario Urrutia Named AFL Rookie of the Year - Utah Blaze
- Chicago's McMillen Named Head Coach of the Year - AFL
- AFL Announces Yearly Awards at Celebrity Gala - AFL
- Arena Football League, KISS Bring Pro Football Back to Los Angeles - AFL
- Arizona's Smith Named Assistant Coach of the Year - AFL
- AFL Announces Founder's Award, Official of the Year - AFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.