2019 San Antonio FC Season Recap
RECORD OUTPUT: San Antonio FC smashed their single-season goal record in 2019, scoring 62 team goals which is 17 more than their previous high of 45 (set in both 2017 and 2018).
This season San Antonio FC had a team record five players with at least seven goals this season (Ever Guzman-8, , Frank Lopez-8, Jack Barmby-8, Cristian Parano-7, Brian Gomez-7). In the club's previous two seasons, the club has had just one player with at least seven goals, while Rafa Castillo and Frank Tayou led the team with five in the 2016 season.
YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR?: SAFC midfielder Cristian Parano is one of the leading candidates for the USL Championship Young Player of the Year in 2019. Parano joined SAFC after a successful preseason trial and would go on to appear in 32 games while scoring seven goals and recording five assists. He led the league in successful dribbles (109), ranked second on the team with 53 key passes, and was named the USL Championship Player of the Week twice this season. Parano was named No. 2 overall in the USL's 20 Under 20 list, which compiled the 20 best players from the USL Championship and USL League One under the age of 20. Parano was the highest USL Championship player on the list overall.
HATTRICK HERO: San Antonio FC forward Ever Guzman scored the first hattrick in team history on 10/11 at the Portland Timbers 2. The three-goal game marked the first for a professional soccer player in San Antonio since Pablo Campos recorded a hattrick on July 28, 2012 while playing for the San Antonio Scorpions in the North American Soccer League. Guzman also recorded at least two goals in a single game for the third time in his SAFC career, marking the most by any player in team history. The Mexico native scored eight goals this season and has a club-high 23 all-time for SAFC in league play.
EVER PRESENT: San Antonio FC defender Kai Greene started and played 90 minutes for 34 straight league matches, making him the first SAFC player in team history to play every minute of the USL Championship regular season. His 3,060 league minutes played are an SAFC record, and he is the first SAFC player to cross the 3,000 minute threshold. Greene was one of just two players to play every minute for their team this season (also, Phanuel Kavita - STLFC). Greene also played in three Open Cup minutes, while leading the team with 48 interceptions, 64 tackles won and 102 aerial duels won.
YOUTH MOVEMENT: Prior to the start of the season, San Antonio FC signed SAFC Pro Academy midfielder Leo Torres to a professional contract. Torres was the first full-time SAFC Pro Academy player to sign with the first team, and -- at the time -- was the youngest professional signing in USL Championship history -- at 15 years, 23 days.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 21, 2019
- BBVA Postseason Run Watch Party - Details Set for Wednesday Night - Birmingham Legion FC
- El Paso Locomotive Begins Postseason #Track2TheTrophy in Inaugural Year - El Paso Locomotive FC
- North Carolina FC Begins Postseason Play at Home on Wednesday against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Phoenix's Asante Earns Golden Boot, Assists Champion Award - USL
- Final Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge Qualifier Set for Sunday in Memphis - Nashville SC
- Three Things: Hartford 2 - 1 Rowdies - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Closes out Regular Season with History-Making 3-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- 2019 San Antonio FC Season Recap - San Antonio FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2020 Roster Moves - Atlanta United 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC