1868 FC Debuts First Ever Academy Squad
RENO, Nev. - For the first time in its history, the Reno 1868 FC is opening up its doors to an academy squad. The club will be sending a local team to represent Reno 1868 FC in the inaugural USL Academy competition.
"This is huge, it's something that when I stepped in in April it was tops on my list to involve youth soccer more," said general manager Doug Raftery. "It's really neat to be able to compete against other USL Academy squads at this tournament."
The u17 squad will be representing 1868 FC at the National USL Academy Cup in Tampa Bay this May. This is the first opportunity for academy squads to compete in the USL's new academy system.
"We want to build upon this, it's the start it's not the stopping point" added Raftery. "The goal is that we find some talent within these current guys and we can build a pipeline of local talent to the club."
All of Northern Nevada is represented on the youth squad, as they range from Truckee to Fernley and even reaching Las Vegas. The squad is filled to the brim with skill and qualifications, with players who have competed in various levels of competition.
"They'll get an opportunity to experience things first hand, dealing with our current players. They'll be on the bench during warmups," continued Raftery. "Head coach Ian Russell and the rest of our staff will be spending time with them, with classroom sessions and plenty of opportunities to prove themselves outside of the tournament itself."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 31, 2020
- 1868 FC Debuts First Ever Academy Squad - Reno 1868 FC
- San Antonio FC Signs Forward Luis Solignac - San Antonio FC
- May 29 Match vs Indy XI to Air Nationally on ESPNEWS - Miami FC
- New Mexico United Welcomes Accomplished Defender to the 2020 Squad - New Mexico United
- LouCity Begins Training at IMG Academy in Florida - Louisville City FC
- Former Canadian Youth National Team Member Jordan Murrell Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Former MLS Defender Joins Reno 1868 FC for 2020 Season - Reno 1868 FC
- Orange County SC Signs U.S. U20 Mnt Defender Blake Malone - Orange County SC
- WTNH News 8 to Broadcast All 34 USL Championship Matches in 2020 - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- John Macaluso Set to Represent Reno in Game Two of USL eCup
- 1868 FC to Donate Percentage of Team Store Sales to Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Reno Stomps North Carolina FC to Take Three Points in First USL eCup Game
- USL Announces eCUP: Rocket League Edition to Bee Streamed Via ESPN Digital Platforms
- Reno 1868 FC Unveils Representatives for USL eCup